replacement speakers

BOWLMAN
BOWLMAN Posts: 47
edited January 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have mmc6500 component speakers,and was looking to upgrade to SR6500 components.I found out they were discontinued.
Anyone have any suggestions for replacements.
Anyone familliar with CDT Audio?Are their comps. any good?
This is a legit question and not spam.
Post edited by BOWLMAN on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2010
    I upgraded from the momo's to the SR-6500 about 3 weeks back. There's no official word on them being discontinued, but they have just disappeared of the shelves. So we are all assuming that they are history. See if you can snag a pair of SR-5250 as a second option. If the SR's are out, then you may want to look at the following options among others.

1. Hertz MLK2 Mille : Very transparent and neutral. A pacy and dynamic mid and smooth (a bit laid back tweet). For me the final choice came down to the sr's vs this speaker. I chose the sr's cause firstly i'm a die hard polkie and secondly the sr's were like $300 cheaper.

2. Morel Elates : This was the best speaker I auditioned. It had everything I wanted and then some. Puncy mid bass, clear upper mids and airy open highs. Only rub was the price and the fact that they require a fair bit of power to really drive them well. the speaker is rated at 200watts rms. So you need and amp that pushes out 150-175 watts to really appreciate them. I could'nt afford to do both the speaker and amp upgrade.

3. Scans: Havent heard them but have only heard good things about them including from Mac. So they must be good.

I haven't heard CDT's so can't comment. If you can first define the sound you want and the budget, it would make the search and audition process simpler.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    My budget is $500-$1000 for speakers.Have no idea on a amp.
    How much difference is the sound between the sr5250 and the sr6500? I really do not want to add a sub.No place to put one.I have a F-150 extended cab pick up.
  • arun1963
    edited January 2010
    That's a decent budget for speakers+amp. Two issues that I would look at:

1. Sub : You need a sub to get the 20-50hz range with proper presence. A 6.5"-7" mid driver won't do this range with enough authority to give you that presence. A small 8" in a tiny sealed box, tucked away somewhere in the cabin? You really need a sub to complete the sound.

2. Speakers: Mac's run the sr-5250 in competitions and done well with them. The speakers I mentioned, including the sr's give a particular type of sound. Its lightish, airy and very detailed, lifelike. Once you install and tune them well, they would all be in the same ball park. A sub would really complement these speakers.

Some people like sound thats a bit meatier, with more bite. This normally means a mid driver thats a bit heavier in the 80-200hz range and tweets are a bit more in your face. Focal and top end bostons would be some examples. May also be relevant if you're decided on going sub-less.

3. Amp : I would rather spend a bit more on speakers and then buy the amp that puts out the clean watts required. Plenty of options here. The polks do a fine job.

@ Dskip - I ran the momos for 2 years and tweaked the hell out of them for a year. I really loved them and thought they sounded great. I have them stored away and won't think of selling them. Yet much as I like them, they are not even close to the sr's. It's unfair to compare the two. They are in different leagues. You don't have to be an audiophile to hear the difference. But yeah at $460 they are a steal. ;)

Just curious what Mac thinks of this speaker debate...:D
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    I like my MMC6500s but was trying to get a little more sound.The logical step was the SR6500s since I do not have much room for a sub.I would add a sub if I could find a musical sub that would fit not a thumper box.I am an audiophile not in competition just looking for better music.I have a Phoenix Gold Octane r 4.0.2 amp.75x2 at 4 ohms 125x2 at 2 ohms 250x 1 at 4 ohms bridged continuous power.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    DSKIP--What amp did you use with the two 8 inch subs??
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    What sound difference is there between the mm840dvc and the mm840??
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2010
    None.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    Thanks to all for the advice..I think I will try the mm840s under the back seat,just need to find a amp.
    To bad the SRseries subs doesnt fit,I would buy one..
    I would still like to hear more input on speakers.
  • arun1963
    edited January 2010
    BOWLMAN wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the advice..I think I will try the mm840s under the back seat,just need to find a amp.
    To bad the SRseries subs doesnt fit,I would buy one..
    I would still like to hear more input on speakers.

Glad you're going the sub route. Get the mm840 dvc. The dual voice coil would allow you to show a 2 Ohm impedence to the amp, so that the amp would put out more power. Sound wise like Mac said there is no difference between the SVC and the DVC. The polk pa400.1 would be perfect for the sub.

WRT speakers, we can only give some general options and directions. At the end of the day, you have to go out and listen to as many as you can and find one that your ears fall in love with. Carry the same bunch of cd's with you when you audition. Auditioning in a car is better than on a sound board, which in turn is better than not auditioning at all. ;)

I spent 3 months auditioning, swapping, listening to about 10-12 different sets, when I was upgrading from the momo's. I finally narrowed it down to two sets and came charging back here, all excited and worked up. I gave my opinions of set A and set B and asked which one I should buy. For three days I did'nt get a single post telling me which one to buy. I was a bit hurt and upset, till it dawned on me that I wasnt getting an answer, cause its a decision I and my ears had to make. It had to be my call. Lesson learnt and I feel really good about it today.

Are you clear in your mind, what you want out of your upgrade? In one of your posts you mentioned that you want 'a bit more sound'. Does that mean you want the speakers to play louder? Or are you looking for a more detailed sound with better imaging etc? Do you want delicate sound with great presence, balance and tonality, a bit laid back perhaps? or do you prefer upfront and in your face? Just try and define what you want.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    arun1963, My problem is that there are no dealers that carry anything but low end car stereo, so I can not copare any sound.So I am just asking for opinions of anybody that might have listened to somthing they think is great.This site did point me in the direction of my MMC6500s,nice direction.
    I want a set up that will duplicate the real sound of drums, guitar,voice,ect. The same thing most of you want.
    I am trying to do the same thing I did with my home stereo system.Start low and build towards the top of the line. Since the SR6500s are the top of the Polk line and I can not buy them, I am looking for ideas.
  • MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited January 2010
    I was looking at the CDT speakers last year for my Tahoe. They look awesome and I've only heard good things. But you should just get some Polk SR's from ebay. I've seen em there very recently.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • arun1963
    edited January 2010
    arun1963, My problem is that there are no dealers that carry anything but low end car stereo, so I can not copare any sound.So I am just asking for opinions of anybody that might have listened to somthing they think is great.This site did point me in the direction of my MMC6500s,nice direction.
    I want a set up that will duplicate the real sound of drums, guitar,voice,ect. The same thing most of you want.
    I am trying to do the same thing I did with my home stereo system.Start low and build towards the top of the line. Since the SR6500s are the top of the Polk line and I can not buy them, I am looking for ideas.

If auditions are out, why dont you just grab a pair of sr 5250's since they are still available. They put out great mid bass and you have the mm8 for the low end. That's one thought. You can't go wrong with any of the sr products.

The 6.75" mid of the sr6500 would put out a bit more in the 40-60hz range but you would already have this covered by the sub. With my sr's broken in, I actually have to pinch down on this range from my eq, as the sub+sr's make this range quite heavy. I think the 8" sub and the 5250 would ake a nice pair.

If you liked the sound from the momo's you'll love the sr's. It depends on what you want to do. One other question, what hu are you planning to run this off?
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    I have decided to build a sub box to fit a 8" sub for under the back seat,and try that with my MM6500s. If that does not work I will try an additional 8" sub.
    Will buy the SR5250 comps. (because they are a nice price) if I need to trade out the MM6500s.
    Last thing to do is buy a amp to power it all..Last resort is buy an Sr sub...
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited January 2010
    I have decided to build a sub box to fit a 8" sub for under the back seat,and try that with my MM6500s. If that does not work I will try an additional 8" sub.
    Will buy the SR5250 comps. (because they are a nice price) if I need to trade out the MM6500s.
    Last thing to do is buy a amp to power it all..Last resort is buy an Sr sub...

Hehe, I went this route before with my truck. You will be content with the 8", but you will have the urge to upgrade to a bigger sub after a while. I had to put my 12 on top of my back seat, I don't miss the lost space at all. And you will need an amp to power it all.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2010
    CHU, what was your setup in your truck?I am trying to keep everything hidden or else there will be a smash and grab.Lots of thieves around.
    DSKIP, I could not find any quality shops that sell high end gear or do high end work..
    Everybody is into cheap,and quick.They do not reallize they usually pay more in the long run for crap.I have been there.
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited January 2010
    My speakers and tweets are in the stock location upfront, not an ideal setup for speakers but that is the best way to conceal it. Also repainting the polk tweet grills to match the stock grills helps.

I have my amps under both the front seats and the wires are running under the carpets for a more neat and stealth look.

I had 2 8" subs underneath the passenger side back seats firing forward, I would usually push my front passenger seats all the way to the back to conceal the 8" subs better. I also had my back windows tinted darker.

I've upgraded my 8s to a 12 roughly a year ago. I now have a sealed box carpeted with a slightly darker fabric than the seats color sitting on top of the back of the driver seat.

And everything is bolted down with t60 and t30 screws.

I have this setup for roughly 2 yrs now, and so far nothing has happened yet. I also do not leave anything in site, and I mean anything. Crackheads will bust open your car for a candy bar or soda can fyi.