new system

rgorzkajr
rgorzkajr Posts: 4
edited January 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
thanks in advance for the help.
i have a 04 trailblazer and i got two sets of db6501's for x-mas. i have the fronts installed. will be installing the rears soon. i will be installing an eclipse cd5030 hu. i would like to purchase one amp for this system with an extra channel to power a sub at a later date. i have been looking at a rockford sub. i have no experiance in 5 channel amps, would this be a good fit for an all in one amp or should i go for a 4 channel and a mono set up? all said and done i need to take up as little room as i can. strollers and car seats for the little ones. also need to know if i can install this amp with out a cap. $ is at a premium. thanks again.
Post edited by rgorzkajr on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited January 2010
    Congrats on the new setup!

1. 5 channel amp is fine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I suggest looking into pdx-5 or polk 1100.5. The pdx is smaller but both amps have good clean power that matches or go over their rated rms. You can always stick the amps under your seat.

2. I personally dislike rf stuff in general, I have a polk sr1240 and I love it. I also taken a shine to idqv3.

3. You do not need a cap, its a waste of money. All you need is an efficient amp (you really don't need to do the big 3 since you're setup shouldn't require that much juice).

4. If at all possible return/exchange both the db sets and upgrade yourself to a momo6501. You will save some cash, have better sound, and better speakers.
  • rgorzkajr
    edited January 2010
    To late to return the db's. both sets installed. for the amount of driving i do they will work fine for me. I think I will settle with the pa1100.5. now i need to nail down a sub. not looking to spend alot. just need something that will fill in the lower end. thanks for the input.
  • chu
    edited January 2010
    hehe, I'm on the road quite a bit too about 6-12hrs a day 6 days a week :P

But yeah, I suggest try running just the front sets first and see how it sounds and see if you like it without the rears. However, this is really is your decision not mine.

Do you have a budget in mind for the sub? This will help heaps for us to find the best bang for your buck.
  • J-Lane
    J-Lane Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    rgorzkajr wrote: »
    To late to return the db's. both sets installed. for the amount of driving i do they will work fine for me. I think I will settle with the pa1100.5. now i need to nail down a sub. not looking to spend alot. just need something that will fill in the lower end. thanks for the input.

Excellent choice on the amp (I just got one for Christmas:D) This amp blew me away when I hooked it up in my car. I have been away from car audio for several years so I'm not sure what the newest fad is as far as subs but I have my 1100.5 pushing some JL Audio subs and they sound great. Just make sure and use the right gauge power wire for the amp. I see so many people buying those amp wiring kits but never getting one sufficient to the amp the are trying to power. Good luck and post some pics when you get it completed.
  • rgorzkajr
    edited January 2010
    i got the second set of speakers installed. even running the factory head unit these speakers sound really good. looking to spend around $300 for sub and enclosure.
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited January 2010
    ^ reported
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • chu
    edited January 2010
    rgorzkajr wrote: »
    i got the second set of speakers installed. even running the factory head unit these speakers sound really good. looking to spend around $300 for sub and enclosure.

Are you willing to build the box on your own?
  • rgorzkajr
    edited January 2010
    chu wrote: »
    Are you willing to build the box on your own?

not a clue how. looking for a 12 inch single sub