Bottom line it! Rt25i & RT15i vs 2 pair of f/x300i

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited April 2003 in Speakers
The title says it all. Obviously this is for surround duty only. Also take into account that the f/x's are $220 more total. I'm inclined to say the Rt25 & 15i combo would be the better choice (with the 25's on the sides and the 15's in the rear). Plus, you would have much more flexibility with the direct radiator monopoles.
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Go RT25i or 15i back, and the 300i on the sides. Ya'll like that much better, all depends on taste though. Thats what most people do. I would also think that if you bought the RT25i and RT15i, the 25's would take the back with the 15's on the side. I am not completely sure, but I would think the Back surrounds would need the better speaker.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would go with the cost effective option. One speaker being better than the other isn't really a factor here, the listed speakers are all fine for surround sound. I will presume you are 6.1/7.1 ready and thus the question. You could run two pairs of 300i's, one in dipole and one in bipole. That would, in theory at least, surround you, and then some.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2003
    Options
    if you like multichannel music at all, go with the RT's. Also, Rt's could be used in another system if you ever upgraded or something, can't really pop in a cd with your amp running a stereo pair of F/x's..
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Cer is correct. I know you mentioned surround duty only, I presume we interpret that as HT only. Thats a good point Ceruleance. What is your intention Big Sexy?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    why not go all rt25's or all rt15's? instead of mixing and matching em?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    can't really pop in a cd with your amp running a stereo pair of F/x's..
    Are you talking about if he was to use the speakers for a second system and not having that flexibility of using the f/x's instead of the RT's? Not that I've ever tried it, but I've read it having been done that a pair of F/X's were put into bipole mode and used as fronts.......would be interesting since the drivers would be facing all around the room...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the replys everyone. The consensus seems to support what I was thinking all along. My local CC has some "open box" Polks that someone had traded in. They looked to be in absolutely immaculate condition. 2 pairs of f/x300i @ $220 per pair, a pair of RT25i for $120, and a pair of RT15i for $100.

Ceruleance

"if you like multichannel music at all, go with the RT's. Also, Rt's could be used in another system if you ever upgraded or something, can't really pop in a cd with your amp running a stereo pair of F/x's.."

That was exactly my line of thinking, and what I meant in my first post about the monopoles having more flexibility

Vr3MxStyler2k3
    "Go RT25i or 15i back, and the 300i on the sides. Ya'll like that much better, all depends on taste though. Thats what most people do. I would also think that if you bought the RT25i and RT15i, the 25's would take the back with the 15's on the side. I am not completely sure, but I would think the Back surrounds would need the better speaker."

I also considered this, getting the 25s and 1 pair of the 300s. As for the back channel needing the better speakers, I thought that the side channels were 2 seperate independent sources, while the rear was actually one channel split over two speakers, thus wouldn't it be better to have the better speaker on the sides?

dorokusai
    "You could run two pairs of 300i's, one in dipole and one in bipole. That would, in theory at least, surround you, and then some."

I also considered this as well.

I did buy the 25 and 15 last night. I hope I made the right choice.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2003
    Options
    There really wasn't any way to make a bad choice :) They are Polk Audio man! :lol:

Good luck, and you will be just fine with those choices.