Should I rebuild SDA-SRS 2's?

Options
Troy Pauline
Troy Pauline Posts: 13
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I have an original pair of SDA-SRS 2's that I bought new in 1986. These speakers still look and sound great but have been used extensively over the last 17 years. I'm thinking the sound quality has to have changed over the years and was wondering if I should be thinking about giving them an overhaul. If so where should I start and/or what pitfalls should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any informaiton. :)
Post edited by Troy Pauline on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited April 2003
    Options
    :: Don't fix what's not broken.::
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    There are some other SDA owners in the forum that will help you Troy. They can provide you with some help in determining a course of action I am sure. F1Nut, Polkatese and Har Navalta are regular contributers on that subject. Just hang tight.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Troy,

Since you seem to be happy with the sound and appearance, leave them alone unless you want to upgrade the crossover and binding posts. The mid-drivers and PR have rubber surrounds that unless damaged should be just fine. The tweeters either work or not. If you're interested in the above upgrades, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Troy Pauline
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Although they still sound great they don't seem to quite "disappear" like they used to.

My main concern was that after all these years the sound may have been slowly deteriorating and my ears have just gotten used to it.

F1,

I would be interested in finding out about upgrading the crossover and binding post, and what that would do for sound quality.

Also, I lost the manuals to these many moves ago and maybe I don't have them positioned properly in the room.

I thank everyone for any information they provide me.

Thanks for the responces.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Troy,

As for position, they should be parallel with the wall, no toe-in. They should be 3 feet from any side wall and between 6 to 8 feet apart. I like my 2.3TL's 5.5 inches from the rear wall, but I believe up to 18 inches is ok. You'll get more bass the closer they are to the wall. Ideally, if you have them 6 feet apart you should sit 6 feet from them, etc. I will post somemore info later, I've got to get right now.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Troy,

If you upgrade the crossovers and binding posts you gain some detail, a wider/deeper soundstage and the bass should tighten up.

You will need a schematic which you should be able to get from Ken Swauger at KSwauger@polkaudio.com. All the upgrade components you will need are available at www.percyaudio.com or www.soniccraft.com. They both carry Cardas binding posts (the best), get the ones labeled CCGR short and get the Quad-Eutectic solder. Are you any good with a soldering iron?

Another avenue worth pursuing is to upgrade your speaker wire and interconnect cables. I highly recommend MIT cables at www.mitcables.com. The Shotgun series are nice with the SDA's.
    What are you using now for power, source(s) and cables?

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Troy, I agree with ATCVenom. I recommend you go audition some new speakers. I bet you'll come back with a renewed apprediation for how good your SDAs still sound. It happened to me.
  • Troy Pauline
    edited April 2003
    Options
    F1nut,

I currently have a Sony STR555ES driving the speakers. They are conncted with very thick Monster Cable. I don't know the gage as it was purchased the same day I bought the speakers. After 17 years maybe it's the cables that need to be replaced!

As for my prowess with a soldering iorn...I'm ok but no expert.

Everyone else,

I love my SDAs and have no thought of changing them out with another speaker. If so I would have even thought about rebuilding them in the first place. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best possible sound from them.

I'm also glad that I found these forums. It's nice to see others have the same love for the product that I've had over the years.

Thanks again for all the responces.