center speaker

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited May 2003 in Speakers
presently i have a set of rti70. in a few months i am most likely going to get a pair of rti38. i also want to pick up a center speaker at the same time but don't know which one. with the set-up i am currently planning on using would the csi30 be sufficent or should i up to the csi40 for another 250$cnd?

also what is a good sub for around 500$ canadian
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    go with the 40 and don't look back. You will thank me later!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • swbtgiants
    swbtgiants Posts: 7
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i am thinking of the same thing. Why go with the 40? Bass response? but wont this be eliminated with the speaker setting set to "small"? Because that is the correct setting for the center channel right? Thanks
    Jeff
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The drivers in the 40i are the same as the 70i which is 6 1/2 which match up perfectly. When I got started with my 800i's I bought the center 1 less than the 400i, "can't remember the model but i'm thinking 245 or something, and the 800i's swamped it. Also I had a hard time with the dialog being to low so I turned it up and when the action started it blew me off the couch. It was unbelievable how off balance the front stage was. When I upgraded this problem went away.

Regardless of the speakers you use when you set them to small that just means that your receiver will cross LFE at the setting you select. In my case with small I cross at 80Hz on my fronts, center and rears and all frequencies LT 80 pass to my subs.

Hope this helps

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Even if you cut off the lower bass, the 40 will sound richer, louder and more dynamic. So if money is not a problem, I'd say go for the 40.

Maurice
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Options
    HBomb-
    You had the cs245i. The Csi30 is the replacement for the cs245i, and the Csi40 is a replacement for the Cs400i. I had the exact same setup as you did- the 800's, and a 245. I felt the same way
    about the towers overpowering this center. I didn't know how big of a difference the 400 would make- but I would never use anything else now. Give the Csi40 a serious listen, it is awesome.
    Mike
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I own the CS245i, and I am upgrading to the CSi40 later this year. I heard the CSi40 and I tell ya the difference is just about night and day. As said above, more clear, dynamic, way better bass reponse. The CS245i (not sure about the i30, but the 245i is completely non-musical in every sense!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'll speak as another strong supporter of the CSi40. If you can cough up the extra $, it's a no brainer.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Go with the CSi40 and don't go cheap on the center. I had the CSi30 but upgraded to the CSi40. They are paired with RTi38's up front. Dialog was just too darn quiet with the CSi30. I would have to turn the center channel level up and it still sounded muffled sometimes. I would then turn the volume up to compensate and then I would go deaf when the action started.

With the CSi40, everything is in balance again. The CSi40 is big though so be sure you have room for it.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV