So, I'm going to build a new interconnect and need suggestions

mopar paul
mopar paul Posts: 277
edited December 2009 in Vintage Speakers
Title kinda says it all. I'm going to build a new interconnect for my 1.2TL's. I have done all the crossovers and tweeters and am upgrading all my stuff. The factory interconnect was long gone, and the one on it now uses RCA plugs and coax style cable, I think I can do better. I have been looking at Cardas cables and can buy their speaker cable in bulk, so I was thinking of using this, but my main question is how would you experts terminate the ends? RCA, binding post or other? I have all the ability and tools to do anything, so any option is open. Thanks for your input!:)
Post edited by mopar paul on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited December 2009
    If you can manufacture pin/blade ends that look close to and function as the original Polk ones do, yet allow one to use any cable with them, I'll be your new best friend.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mopar paul
    edited December 2009
    Actually I might consider that, I do quite a bit of fabrication but it never crossed my mind.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2009
    If you pursue the idea and need some help, like an original sample, let me know.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TSWisla
    TSWisla Posts: 446
    edited December 2009
    I have extra pin/blade cable ends. BTW what is wrong with just using a cardas bp and a bannana or a spade?
    Zu Soul Supreme
    Coincident Frankenstein mkIII
    Esoteric K-07
  • mopar paul
    edited December 2009
    I dont think theres anything wrong with the banana ends so thats what I'm going to do, but obviously with much better wire and ends than polk provided originally.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2009
    Banana plugs do not fit the pin hole.

President of Club Polk

• TSWisla
    edited December 2009
    F1nut wrote: »
    Banana plugs do not fit the pin hole.

Of course! I replaced them with a new bp.
    Zu Soul Supreme
    Esoteric K-07
  • F1nut
    edited December 2009
    TSWisla wrote: »
    Of course! I replaced them with a new bp.

Yeah, I've seen folks do that. I will not be one of those folks.

President of Club Polk

• TSWisla
    edited December 2009
    Tell me why, did I make a bad choice? Are you simply trying to keep the speaker as "original" as possible? I really value your input.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen folks do that. I will not be one of those folks.
    Zu Soul Supreme
    Esoteric K-07
  • F1nut
    edited December 2009
    It's just me being pigheaded.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2009
    The other option is to intall a female binding post in the terminal cup to accept the banana plug ends from your new cable. This is how my 1C's were modified. The only downside is when/if I need to use the AI-1 interconnect (for mono's or non-common ground amps) I'll need to do add'l modification to accomodate the AI-1.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SoundEsc
    SoundEsc Posts: 10
    edited December 2009
    Just built one today following the instruction in This thread.

My parts list (mostly homedepot) is posted at the end of the thread.
    My current HT 7.1 Setup:

Fronts: Polk SDA CRS+ (4.1TL)
    Center: Polk CS2
    Front Heights: Polk R15
    Surrounds: Polk RC80i
    Sub: Polk DSW MicroPro 3000
    Projector: Optoma HD72 w/ 100" screen
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR707
    HTPC: Vista Ultimate
    BluRay/Game: PS3