Ebay Warning!!!

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all. I think by now you probably know that I am forced to sell items on Ebay. Just want to let you know that I keep receiving e-mails that are Fraudulant. Stating that there is a problem with my account. After contacting Ebay, There is nothing wrong with my account. The link takes me to a website that asks for Personal/Credit info. The tip-off was that the Security Lock wasnt showing in the righthand corner. The Golden Padlock that shows info being sent and received is being encrypted. Wasnt shown.
Just thought I should warn everybody.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2003
    CPHILHOWER - Good post, that scam happens on Ebay about 1 or 2 times a year. I also use Ebay halfway often, and this scam came my way once also.

Good work on using your head and eye apparently, :lol:

Buyer Beware, and in Ebay's case Seller Beware. Ebay is a great website and serves a noble purpose, but there is always something, or someone, that abuses or takes advantage of its users nature.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Thanks. It sucks. I have to use Ebay out of desperation. Due to Lack of job and Unemployment problems. IE "Non-Negotiable" checks. Been out of work 2 months, Have not had any real income since 3/10/03. just living off what little Ebay sales I can get.
    Chris
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2003
    Sorry to hear that CPHIL, it will work itself out. At least it is just Easter, and not Christmas time, otherwise your blues may be amplified. Just keep plugging away boss, **** Ed McMahon may be calling you any minute.... :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    If you still have the link, share it.

I'd like to see who is trying to get the info, and let the 'powers' that be know.

Just a side note, even 'bad guys' can make a secure website, the lock doesn't signal an 'all clear'.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Russ, here is another tip. They ask for a PIN number. Last time I checked, You need that for a Cash Advance. Also ask for Social Security number. Did Ebay ask for that in the first place?
    https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation
    Thats what I got. I sent them a nasty response. I live at 1 Scam Artist Way. And I am at ScamArtist.com.

If you e-mail me, I can send it to you in Wordpad so that you can forward to the proper authorities.
    Chris
    C.J.PHILHOWER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2003
    http://68.82.63.174/https/scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/verify.htm?eBayISAPI.dll?&bidaccess=0&buyaccess=0&itemid=default&maxbid=default&makebidtype=5i488kgv&uachoice=1&lagoonemorebid=0&raccept=0

I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you do not even click it, unless you have IE6 privacy set to at least 'high' to block cookies. It tries to grab a cookie 10+ times. The IP address comes back to Comcast.net.

This is the COMPLETE link. DO NOT FILL IT OUT.

It has been reported to Ebay, and the National fraud prevention center, and Comcast.

This isn't just Ebay fraud, with the delicate info they ask for, we are talking IDENTITY THEFT, period.

Please alert EVERYONE you know that uses ebay to not fill out ANYTHING.

****' aholes man.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Russ, What do you mean "It tries to grab a cookie 10+ times"? I have Norton Firewall enabled.
    Chris
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    ****-
    Now thats scary. Really, your pin number, ssn? man oh man, I really hate to think people have fallen for it... bad news all around. I will be passing this along to EVERYONE I know with an eBay account. Man. Still freaked out someone would do that.
    Peace all. Mike
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited May 2003
    GUESS WHAT??? I think the Scam artists have graduated. I just received an e-mail saying that my credit card was declined and that they removed it. And requested a new credit card to be placed on file.
    Chris
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Send me the effin email/link, and I will report it, or you can.

I don't mind doing it, but SOMEONE needs to.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited May 2003
    Russ, I seem to have lost your e-mail address. Could you e-mail me so I can forward it to you. I know this is a Scam. I gave a bogus user id and password and it went right to the credit card update page. They also ask for CVI, SS#, Mothers maden name, Name on CC.
    I did forward it to ABUSE@ATT.COM
    Chris
    C.J.PHILHOWER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET