trying to decide

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited April 2003 in Speakers
i'm 15 years old and i have a pair of rti70's and a psw202 powered with a technics amp. I'm trying to decide whether to say with what I got for a few years and then go all out. should i complete my system and buy a good receiver or what for a couple of years and then buy top of the line stuff like b&w and keep what i got as a stereo and the other as home theater for the future?

just want your opinion!
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Options
    What do you think about the gear you have right now? Something lacking?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I have read this before...

MY SYSTEM SUCKS!!!!! Where the hell is my credit card!

Evile TWIN
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • glemay
    edited April 2003
    Options
    russman, i don't really know. I'm just one of those guys that will only settle for the best. I am thinking of getting rid of the technics amp and buying a marantz sr6300. the only other thing i think i want to upgrade is the sub, maybe a velodyne of paradigm or something similar. i eventually want to turn it into a home theater system for my room just not presently. do u believe that polk will continue the rti line (rti38) or will the new stuff them come out with in a couple of years to replace the rti line will blend well with my rti 70 and be better than the older ones? I dont know what i'm gonna do, still thinking.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Man, I feel guilty having my R series system, and I am 22.
  • glemay
    edited April 2003
    Options
    shizelbs, i've been making some money since i was 9 or 10 years old. today i've worked for 10 hours. it's alot of work but it is sure nice to have some nice equipement.
    Main System:

Second System:
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited April 2003
    Options
    glemay, im 18 and was about where you are at your age. My advice is to only buy components that are flexible, and to go several steps up. I would buy a great outboard 2 channel amp, because you can pretty much always use one of those in any system, and your Rti70's will sound much better (this is of course if you have preouts on your technics) second, I would buy a great sub, because you can use one of those in any system, and not have to worry about timber matching. In a few years when you have the cash for some great speakers, you will most likely have a big enough room to do them justice. 15 year olds arent known for their expansive living quarters, after all.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Which B&W's are you thinking about?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    glemay; its cheaper to go with polk lsi-line speakers than the b&w and they will sound great to,and use the rt-70i as surounds, like ceruleance said, get a good two channel amp to run the lsi speakers off your technics, if it haves the main pre out put.
    then upgrade from there, that way you will know what you like later on. take it slow and eazy, look read and most importain listen, that way you wont get disapointed.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2003
    Options
    hi, russ, can you find , used aragon stuff on the net you are real good at finding stuff, i looked but i cant find, i guess that no one
    wants to sell there aragon stuff.
    thanks.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey bro,
    bottom line.....you're young, you're gonna want the best, and you probably forget about listening to what you like. I have a buddy who has the B&W "300 series" and I think those are very comparable to my RTi38's. I'd stick w/ the RTi70's you have and maybe add RTi138's. Then, once you're maybe in you mid 20's and you have a job that pays more than than your 10hr job, get the best stuff. Cuz if you try to get all the good stuff now.....you're gonna be working too much to pay it off.:) Focus on school, and think about the long run. Don't worry bout the "best." My 2 centz.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Man, I feel guilty having my R series system, and I am 22.

I'm 38 and really enjoy my R series...

:confused:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    My advice is to only buy components that are flexible, and to go several steps up. I would buy a great outboard 2 channel amp, because you can pretty much always use one of those in any system, and your Rti70's will sound much better (this is of course if you have preouts on your technics) second, I would buy a great sub, because you can use one of those in any system, and not have to worry about timber matching.

I agree completely! If you want to go a step further then go ahead and lay out what you think is the ultimate setup you wish to end up with 10 years from now and buy one piece at a time until you end up with your dream system. Don't spend too much on sources right now because they change rapidly. Good two channel amps will always be needed and anything you buy today will be just as good as what you buy ten years from now. Even cheesy sources and speakers sound amazingly better with good amplification. By the time your done your friends will have gone through many different complete systems and will not be much better off than they are right now but at the same time you will have spent MUCH less but will have something they can only dream of. That is what I did and believe me, it paid off big time! Just my .02 cents...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo

I'm 38 and really enjoy my R series...

:confused:

HBomb

Don't worry. I am in love with my R series. I love it to death. Its awesome. But, I am 22 and have lots of other financial commitments I should be attendting to, rather than this new hobbie I have picked up. I just feel a little guilty laying down as much cash as I have when I know I should be paying back loans, saving for the next two years until I finish, and other similar things. I love my R's, don't get me wrong. But, its a little lonely at the top, compared to what my friends have.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax001
    I agree completely! If you want to go a step further then go ahead and lay out what you think is the ultimate setup you wish to end up with 10 years from now and buy one piece at a time until you end up with your dream system. Don't spend too much on sources right now because they change rapidly. Good two channel amps will always be needed and anything you buy today will be just as good as what you buy ten years from now. Even cheesy sources and speakers sound amazingly better with good amplification. By the time your done your friends will have gone through many different complete systems and will not be much better off than they are right now but at the same time you will have spent MUCH less but will have something they can only dream of. That is what I did and believe me, it paid off big time! Just my .02 cents...madmax
    I second the motion. Now with my $0.02 added to Ceruleance's and Max's, you're all the way up to $0.06.
    Build with flexibility... and that means separates...

Sid, tell 'em about your Adcom...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Options
    We need to know what other components you own. From your listing, IMO, your weakest link is the Technics. What are your using as a source? The best thing to do when upgrading is getting the best source (CD or DVD) you can buy. As the saying goes, garbage in=garbage out.
    If you already have a good CD/DVD player, my advice is to upgrade the receiver either to seperates or a better receiver. You'll be surprised how good your RTi70's can sing when given high current power. Like ATCVenom suggested. Demo as many units as you can to find "your sound". Two years ago I made the mistake of buying a receiver without pre-outs. When I decided to get into seperates, the receiver is useless and now I have to save up for another since my new pre amp is a 2 channel. Know what you want and what you don't want. Don't go for components with plenty of features you don't need because you'll be paying extra cash for something you may not need.
    Good luck on your search.

Maurice
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm 14 and Im diggin every piece of equipment in my room! How come I seem to be the only kid that can't find room for tower speakers?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The LSI series seems to be the speaker that is not for me. The world too accurate, destroys rock recordings, makes about everything sound bad. Seems the best speakers in the world make everything sound bad? The world is effed! However, I wouldn't mind owning a pair of RTi150's!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Sid, tell 'em about your Adcom...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adcom kicks serious ****$ for the money. Very clean power, very conservative, and it can handle low ohm loads. It also is a heavy SOB! It is hard to clip, as when it starts to pick up THD, LEDS flicker, perfect for kids our age because we like to crank it, but we don't want to blow the speakers. Don't think the Adcom needs them though, my LED's havn't lit up once! It totally kicks!

For a short review, the Adcom makes just about any speaker have an awesome sound stage. It places the vocals directly center, instruments where their suppose to be (drums behind vocals, guitar right, bassist left). The voices are clean and crisp, and do not sound strained at all. The highs are very good and full exstended with the Adcom. The adcom reaches well into 60hz at the top end.

Adcom has the Big Black B****in Caps! Muahahhahhaha!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    ADCOM RULES!

I have been drinking alot of caffine!
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Spring Break?
    feiertag-smiley-006.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Spring Break?
    feiertag-smiley-006.gif

YEP! More like spring crack, we lost alot of it due to snow!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    he LSI series seems to be the speaker that is not for me. The world too accurate, destroys rock recordings, makes about everything sound bad. Seems the best speakers in the world make everything sound bad?

Kinda makes you THINK doesn't it :lol:

Knock knock... McFly..........................................

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax001

Kinda makes you THINK doesn't it :lol:

Knock knock... McFly..........................................

madmax

I don't get it.....