Anybody play Forza 3 yet?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,713
edited December 2009 in Video Games
I got it for my brother for Christmas. I want it too but I figured I'd get it for him instead of just buying it for me. But I didn't get a copy of my own yet. Still working on Forza 2.

but it looks cool and I'm doing my best to resist opening it and playing it myself.

So somebody tell me. Is it as good as it looks?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I played the demo, and had I not already bought like 4 games that I haven't beaten yet, I would've picked up Forza 3. I primarily didn't because I knew it would motivate me to buy a steering wheel too... and then my living room would have all kinds of plastic toys in it. :P
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As with the previous versions, The best selection of cars in any game that I have seen. Some new tracks and even more cars than the previous versions. Best new features include...

1 - Even though some consider it cheating.... REWIND for individual play!!! That's right, winning the race and F up on the last turn... Do it over.

2 - Quick upgrade. Instead of picking and choosing upgrades to maximize the car for each level, which you still can do, the option selects upgrades to maximize the car for each level. I don't know if the options it selects are the best possible, but if the Cap for D class is 350 and the stock car is 290, the options selects upgrades to get you as close to 350 as it can instantly.

Cons - Forza 2 online play was much better. Forza 3 is terrible. I tried a few times and could not get a match going. This took less than a minute in Forza 2. I did just see that a new patch is available for online play as of 12/18. Perhaps these issues are resolved now.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Haven't seen it myself but a friend (who also has PS3) thinks it alone is worth it to buy XBOX. We'll see but I'm tempted to do that.
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Awesome game...especially if you can get it on sale for $40. I downloaded the demo and wasn't all that impressed, but bought it anyway when it was on sale. Glad I did.

It doesn't have the same repetitive feel that Forza 2 had. The season mode is great, and allows for a good amount of variety in between championship races. Haven't played online yet, but this game is a great change-up for me when I get tired of playing MW2.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I love this game, it is by far the best of the series!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ... and then my living room would have all kinds of plastic toys in it. :P

There are worse kinds of plastic toys one could have in their living room. ;)
  • bevo
    bevo Posts: 306
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It's easily the best racing game on a console so far. I even went out and bought a good steering wheel to play it with that has a clutch and H pattern 6 speed shifter. If you like sim type racing games forza 3 is a game you should get, It's not as good as the PC sims, but for a console racer it is the best by far.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)
  • bevo
    edited December 2009
    Options
    . I primarily didn't because I knew it would motivate me to buy a steering wheel too... and then my living room would have all kinds of plastic toys in it. :P

That's why I have 2 living rooms. Mine is full of my plastic toys, and the other one is full of my 3 year olds.
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Excellent game. They did a great job with the driving dynamics and graphics engine. Some of the tracks are beautiful, and each car has its own individual feel, whereas in a lot of other games there are a few "feels" that they stamp on to every car in the game. Great selection of cars, and a ton of tracks, so its quite a long game. This game has so much to it it comes in two disks, and you have to install Disk 2 before you play Disk 1. Easily the best console racer I've played.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hmmm, so is everyone here staying away from GT5? I'm pondering Forza 3 b/c of the way they handled GT5 prologue. I had no idea the game was still light years away, and I was sure they'd give us prologue buyers a good discount on the full game. They may still, but I think I might pick up Forza instead.

Anyone have comps between the 2? Is Gran Turismo more arcady? Looks?
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2009
    Options
  • Jstas
    edited December 2009
    Options
    GT5 isn't out yet.

When it does finally come out, I will purchase a PS3 so I can then purchase GT5 and play it until my eyes fall out of my head and roll across the floor.

• bevo
    edited December 2009
    Options
    They released a demo a few days ago for GT5. It's a time trial competition where the U.S. winner will win a trip to the indy 500 with vip passes.
    GT5 and forza 3 are going to be 2 completely different games. The GT5 demo has you play with the simulation settings(which I would use anyway) and it is the hardest racing game I have ever played. Forza 3 on the other hand is fairly easy and is going to be more of an arcade style racer compared to GT5.

Both games are worth buying. GT5's release date in Japan is march, and no one knows if that is a world wide release date, or just for Japan. Either way I would go ahead and get forza 3 and then GT5 if you have both consoles. Both games really are the best racing out there, but they will be much different games.

As far as the GT5 prolouge was. The new GT5 demo feels much, much different then GT5p. The physics are much more unforgiving. It's really not even comparable.
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
  • themuskr
    themuskr Posts: 149
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This game is amazing. best yet. it has the most advanced physics yet
    2 Mirage OMD-5's (burled Maple)
    1 Mirage OMD-C1
    4 Mirage nanosat MX
    Mirage MM-6
    Def Tech Prosub 100
    Pioneer Elite vsx-40
    BJC cable
  • Jstas
    edited December 2009
    Options
    bevo wrote: »
    Both games are worth buying.

No they're not. The whole thing or nothing at all. I'm not dropping 30-40 bucks a pop on a freakin' demo only to drop another 60-70 on the entire game when it comes out.

• ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    No they're not. The whole thing or nothing at all. I'm not dropping 30-40 bucks a pop on a freakin' demo only to drop another 60-70 on the entire game when it comes out.

i think he was talking about buying both forza and gt5.

i would agree with that statement, especially if you're like me and have been tired of not playing a good console racer since the old gt days on ps2. since there is no set date for gt5 (my guess would be summer 2010), it's worth getting forza to play the crap out of it until gt5 comes out. just my opinion...it's what i did.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree Jstas. I am still hoping against hope that they'll do some kind of special for GT5 prologue purchasers, but it will have been so long by the time the game comes out I doubt they will.

So based on responses here, Forza is a bit more arcady (meaning I'd enjoy it possibly a bit more since I'm not a professional driver) and worth buying. Sounds like I might grab Forza, skip GT when it comes out, and put the extra $$ into a wheel, stick pedal combo...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bevo
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

I was talking about forza 3 and GT5. Really no need for GT5p since forza 3 is out and GT5 is just around the corner.

GT5p really isn't a demo though. It's got a good 15 or 20 hours of gameplay. And if you play it on the hard settings It might even take you longer. It's actually got more content then many full fledged racing games, and it will be entirely different then either GT5 or forza 3.

The new GT5 feels nothing at all like GT5p it's an entirely different experience. Much, much harder and the in car view is the best I have seen on a console game yet. The way the car jumps and moves with the road is great.
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Forza rawks. Great game.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Pretty fun game so far.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2009
    Options
    it's a cool game, I like it. Got it for Christmas.

the game seems to think my Mustang GT has an inability to take turns doing any more than 30.....even with race slicks and suspension mods. I know it's a solid axle, but believe it or not I can accelerate coming out of a turn in real life without breaking the **** end loose.....apparently not in the Forza world though........effing whatever! :rolleyes:
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Also got it for Xmas.