Bah! PS3 blu ray fail

Options
lanion
lanion Posts: 843
edited January 2010 in Video Games
2nd time this has happened... Blu-Ray discs have stopped working, but everything else works great. Just opened the system up and cleaned it (also voided the warranty) and it seemed to help... blurays work for about 15 minutes after the system has been off for a while and then freeze up.

So, buy a slim and use this as a PS2/DVD Player/Media Center/ PSN gaming hub, or buy a new disc drive on ebay and replace it myself (opening the PS3 is waay easier than messing with an xbox360) for about $100.

I wonder if it will still play SACDs in its current form. hmmm...
My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
Post edited by lanion on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2009
    Options
    buy a stand alone blu ray player is what I would do.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So is it really that easy Lanion? My old PS3 is fine, but the disc drive took a crap, so I want to replace it as well. Wasn't sure if it was easy enough to warrant dropping 100 on the new drive, or if I should just suck it up, pay the extra 50 or so and send it back to Sony for refurb....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • lanion
    edited December 2009
    Options
    You need a T-10 sized bit head to get one screw out to open the case, and then its all just philips head screws. Open it up and it looks like a PC in there... and you can just pull out the blu-ray drive and pop another one in. But, for my 60gig model the only drives that will work are used ones, as they stopped making that particular kind in 2007. So if I'm just delaying another failure... I might want a new slim.

As for buying a standalone blu-ray player, that doesn't help much since all PS3 games are on blu-ray dsics.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited December 2009
    Options
    1997? Are you sure?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • lanion
    edited December 2009
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    1997? Are you sure?

Whoops! Fixed.

Anyway, the issue with doing it yourself is once you break the seal to unscrew that one T-10 screw sony won't fix it. So, $110 (plus you could sell your old drive for some money -- there are people out there who could buy it and fix the blu-ray diode apparatus) vs $180 (sony charges a lot for shipping).

HT:
  • lanion
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I currently have my PS3 in an *extremely* ventilated position and it isn't having any issues. I think ill try cleaning it more thoroughly. I might not need any fix after all.

HT:
  • jflail2
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Interesting. My dead PS3 is an original 60gb, so I may just end up sucking it up and sending it off to Sony. I trust Sony more than some joker on sleazebay selling me a "perfectly functional" PS3 drive...

• wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have sent in one of my PS3's to Sony to get refurbed, came back 100% functional and has had no problems to this day (knocks on wood) If they can't fix your particular model, they will send you a factory reconditioned model in it's place.

-Jeff

P.S. Congrats on the 1,000th post jflail2. :D
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2009
    Options
    My 40G has worked fine for 2 years with no problems
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2009
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    buy a stand alone blu ray player is what I would do.

X2 I have heard of problems with ps3's and that was just one more con for not buying one.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I had a PS2 that played DVD's. I used it as a DVD and game player. After a while, it stopped playing games and DVD's. Someone said (Not sure if it's true), that by playing DVD's, it caused some malfunction, and that it wears away at the ability to play games. Not sure if that's the case now, but would love to hear from someone about this. My cousin wants a PS3 as a blu-ray and not sure what to tell him.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • jflail2
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have sent in one of my PS3's to Sony to get refurbed, came back 100% functional and has had no problems to this day (knocks on wood) If they can't fix your particular model, they will send you a factory reconditioned model in it's place.

-Jeff

P.S. Congrats on the 1,000th post jflail2. :D

Excellent, that's the reassurance I needed. I think I'll go the Sony route. It will be nice to have one in the bedroom and one in the living room!

Thx Jeff, didn't notice that, but I do see I've got a new title now; cool :)

Took me 2.8 years to get to 1k posts.....Hah, I obviously still do more listening than talking...

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Pycroft wrote: »
    I had a PS2 that played DVD's. I used it as a DVD and game player. After a while, it stopped playing games and DVD's. Someone said (Not sure if it's true), that by playing DVD's, it caused some malfunction, and that it wears away at the ability to play games. Not sure if that's the case now, but would love to hear from someone about this. My cousin wants a PS3 as a blu-ray and not sure what to tell him.

James

I think that is a load of BULL. My friend has a 6 year old ps2 that is still going. He uses it for dvd's cd's and games.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • wutadumsn23
    edited December 2009
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Excellent, that's the reassurance I needed. I think I'll go the Sony route. It will be nice to have one in the bedroom and one in the living room!

Thx Jeff, didn't notice that, but I do see I've got a new title now; cool :)

Took me 2.8 years to get to 1k posts.....Hah, I obviously still do more listening than talking...

No problem, I will recommend the PS3 all day, and twice on Sunday. I love mine and still consider it the cornerstone of my humble HT setup. The only drawback to the refurb thing is that if Sony can't fix your PS3, and they send you a factory refurbished unit, you may get one of lesser "value" For example if you send in a "good" 80GB model, you will probably get one of the "stripped" 80GB models in return.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't think buying a standalone blu-ray player would work, because most PS3 games are blu-ray so I'm assuming games, and blu-ray movies both are not working.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• lanion
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I just took the whole thing apart completely, dusted the giant fan and applied new thermal paste. working like a charm so far.

HT:
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    I just took the whole thing apart completely, dusted the giant fan and applied new thermal paste. working like a charm so far.

I've taken my 60gb apart so many times I can do it blindfolded now. Eventually, taking it apart to clean it will no longer work. What's strange on mine is that if I can get it to work, I can leave a BR movie in there forever without a problem and it'll always play as long as the menu is up but the minute I eject the disk it won't recognize the next BR disk even if it's the same disk that's been in there for a week. I think this is a BR recognition problem.

I should send mine in and fork over $180 ($150 + shipping from what I've heard).
  • yaleforks
    yaleforks Posts: 8
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I had the same problem but replaced the laser in my PS3 its been a year and its still working
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That's what mice did too. I bought a Slim.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • lanion
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Nope... froze again. I have now cleaned the blu-ray lens and so far so good. Will know better in an hour or so.

HT:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Options
    THere are a number of threads about PS3 failures that are starting to appear...it would be useful to know HOW much you guys USE those PS3s and for what--movies, gaming, music, etc. Because I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with mine and most of the people I know also are problem free after a couple of years!!

ANY machine will FAIL with enough use--any....even a 5,000 or 10,000 dollar player.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    THere are a number of threads about PS3 failures that are starting to appear...it would be useful to know HOW much you guys USE those PS3s and for what--movies, gaming, music, etc. Because I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with mine and most of the people I know also are problem free after a couple of years!!

ANY machine will FAIL with enough use--any....even a 5,000 or 10,000 dollar player.

cnh

I couldn't agree more, nor could I have said it any better. Pretty much my same view in an earlier post and I'm glad someone agrees with me. I have never had a single problem (knocks on wood) with ,y PS3 and I use it daily for BR, Internet, and gaming. I have put quite a few hours on my PS3 and it has yet to let me down. I'm sure it will go eventually, but I am going to do everything in my power to find an "original" PS3 if that ever happens.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's now a known fact that with an average/normal use of the PS3, the laser, be it old single laser assy or new dual laser assy, will fail. There are 2 major problems going on with PS3s - poor reflow on the boards and crappy lasers. Just like on 360 we have a well-known 3-light RROD problems associated with overheating and dying processors.

There are tons of threads on the internet about these lasers failing. I paid $105+tax to a local shop, which installed a new laser assembly in my 80GB PS3. The literally have a conveyor in the shop replacing these lasers and professionally reflowing the solder on the boards.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room