Need advise for rear fills

Whatever
Whatever Posts: 5
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a MTX Thunder 4244 amp that is rated at 60w RMS x4 @ 4 ohms that will drive my Polk/Momo MM6 components up front.

I would like to stay with Polks for the rear fill. In my rear panel I will replace the factor 4" component. I think I can fit a 4" two way or component or maybe a 4x6 2 ways.

I understand the rear fill should be just that - fill and not over powering. What model of Polk speakers would work for this considering my amp?

Thanks.
Post edited by Whatever on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2003
    What's the year, make, and model of the car?
  • Whatever
    edited April 2003
    Pontiac 2000 Trans Am.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2003
    Where exactly are all the speaker locations in your car?
  • Whatever
    edited April 2003
    I am installing Polk/MM6 components up front in the factory location in the door. I have 5-6.5 factory speakers in the rear side panels by the passengers head - more than likely these are going to be removed. Then I have panels along the side of the rear hatch that has a 4" mid and a tweeter. These are what I want to replace for rear fill. I would think a 2-way 4" to 5 1/4" would be the best fit - it will be a custom fit anyway.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    Whatever -- if u run that amp in 4 channel mode (which obviously from what you're saying you are)... dont use the "parallel" switch that allows you to run the rear stage off the RCA line inputs of the front stage... i dont know what it is, but every single mtx amp that has that feature that i've tried to use has ended up sounding muddy... it might be a little "ghetto" but just use two Y - splitters to jump the front / rear right and left if you dont have two pair of pre-outs from the head available to that particular amp.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Whatever
    edited April 2003
    I did plan on running it in 4 channel mode. I will have to look up what you are talking about with parallel. I still don't have speakers for the rear fill yet. So, I may run the wires but run the amp in 2 channel mode and see if that and the sub is enough. Since I had 10 speakers with the Monsoon system I am thinking I will want the rear fill.

I just looked in the manual I don't see anything about a parallel switch. Could it be called something else?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    if its the chrome topped 4244 its got a switch right next to the RCA inputs -- it may be labeled something else... but its function is to basically act as an internal y splitter so u can plug the inputs into simply the front in -- leave the rear in with nothing plugged to it -- and you'll get signal to all 4 channels.

i never figured out WHY it doesn't sound the way it should... don't think i ever will... but both the 4244 and the 6304 have it.

splitting the signal outside of the amp and running a y connector into the inputs seems to make it "all good" though.

i just rebuilt a blue thunder 754 and i was going to solder the leads for in inputs together from the inside, ... only reason i didn't is in case i decide to run it bridged.

10 speakers??? what kind of vehicle is a Monsoon? a van / big suv?

i wish i could 1) afford 10 speaker system 2) accurately balance and tune a 10 speaker system 3) had the time to do it.
  • Whatever
    edited April 2003
    The Monsoon is what is in the Pontiac Trans Am. It has 4 tweeters and 6 woofers. Comes with an amp and the head unit has no amplifier. It is OK but not near what you can get after market.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    ohhhhhhh:)