cabinet damping on RTA's

Options
byteme
byteme Posts: 73
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Hello again! You may remember awhile ago I undertook a project based on urging from Har and F1nut to upgrade my RTA11t's to 11tl's and completely upgraded the crossovers. At the time Michael Percy suggested deflex damping sheets for the cabinets. I didn't use them, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have used something like deflex or black hole 5 on the interior of the cabinet. Has anyone done this? What did you use? Did you / should you cover the entire inside, just behind the drivers, top and bottom?!? The 11tl is a pretty big cabinet and I don't recall too much braceing in there other than by the tweeter.

Thanks!

As far as the upgrade and sound go - Absolutely loving it! I've done a couple system things since then too and it just continues to get better and better. The detail and crispness of the speakers is just outstanding now! Much, much better. And not nearly as bright with the SL3000 tweeter!
Post edited by byteme on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey, glad you're loving the sound. I was just looking at the deflex material about ten minutes ago and I came to the conclusion that I don't know enough about it and just shrugged it off. I'm in the middle of a power cord/IEC socket upgrade as well as a amp binding post upgrade, so my plate is full for now. If you do decide to go with the deflex, please let me know what you find.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• byteme
    byteme Posts: 73
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I ordered up enough sheets of Parts Express vinyl sheets to do the inside of both speakers for about $40 shipped. I figured that's pretty cheap for an experiment and it's gotten good reviews on audiocircle.com. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back here.