SR 6500's

Marcinko7
Marcinko7 Posts: 121
edited December 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Does anyone know why Crutchfield doesn't carry these anymore? I'm looking for vendors and there are none to be had. One week Mr. Crutchfield is putting them in his Caddie, the next they are gone of the website. Can't find them elsewhere either.
Denon 3806 Receiver
Denon 3910 DVD
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
LsiC Center
LsiFX Surrounds
SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
PBJ Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"
Post edited by Marcinko7 on

Comments

• mesquitehead
    mesquitehead Posts: 312
    edited December 2009
    I have a feeling that since Polk was bought buy DEI they may be changing their product lines. FWIW there are less costly places to purchase them besides Crutchfield as well. Good luck!
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2009
    At MECA finals back in October a rep from another manufacturer told me that the SR line has been axed. I figured he was just BS'ing and didnt pay it much attention but then I too noticed they dropped off of Crutchfield (the SR5250 is still there tho) so now Im wondering if something is up.

I do know they werent selling that well and they were looking at some ways to make them a little cheaper but then the entire car audio department got laid off and I lost all my contacts.

Maybe somebody from Polk could clear this up on here for us.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mesquitehead
    edited December 2009
    Looks like we better load up while we can eh? Based on the hit DEI has taken the last couple of years I kinda figured the SR's would be going bye bye. Should be able to find some close-out deals though! I had the same problem with my SDA's and getting replacement drivers, I ended up finding a store that still had new old stock and bought them up just in case. I originally purchased a driver from Polk and it was nowhere near the quality of the original, sent it back and got the old stock original stuff.

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2009
    Thats the problem with car audio these days. High end gear just flat out doesnt sale. It was bad enough when the economy was good but nowadays its about impossible to convince somebody that they need to buy a set of $900 speakers. Its the $200 sets of speakers out there that is whats selling and its the big subs and amps that are selling most of all.

Nobody cares about sound quality in cars anymore. With cars, you want to get noticed and 6, 15" subs with 4000 watts each is what gets you noticed. Reproducing Diana Krall as if she were standing on your dash singing to you doesnt impress the kids in the high school parking lot.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mesquitehead
    edited December 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Thats the problem with car audio these days. High end gear just flat out doesnt sale. It was bad enough when the economy was good but nowadays its about impossible to convince somebody that they need to buy a set of $900 speakers. Its the $200 sets of speakers out there that is whats selling and its the big subs and amps that are selling most of all.

Nobody cares about sound quality in cars anymore. With cars, you want to get noticed and 6, 15" subs with 4000 watts each is what gets you noticed. Reproducing Diana Krall as if she were standing on your dash singing to you doesnt impress the kids in the high school parking lot.

True statement! (I'm more a fan of her husband Mr. Costello) I checked ebay just for grins and there was not a set of 6500's for sale and only a couple of places online, they were between $4-500.
    Apologies to the OP, did not mean to hijack, but if you want 6500's I'd get them NOW.

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited December 2009
    they've been around for quite a while and Polk's already updated their DB and MM line so perhaps SR's are next :). No need to assume the whole line's been axed just yet :)
  • mesquitehead
    edited December 2009
    Topper wrote: »
    they've been around for quite a while and Polk's already updated their DB and MM line so perhaps SR's are next :). No need to assume the whole line's been axed just yet :)

Based on what I've seen, heard and know I'd bet my money they are done.;)

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • Marcinko7
    Marcinko7 Posts: 121
    edited December 2009
    I'm trying with no luck!
    True statement! (I'm more a fan of her husband Mr. Costello) I checked ebay just for grins and there was not a set of 6500's for sale and only a couple of places online, they were between $4-500.
    Apologies to the OP, did not mean to hijack, but if you want 6500's I'd get them NOW.
    Denon 3806 Receiver
    Denon 3910 DVD
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
    Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
    58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
    SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
    Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
    LsiC Center
    LsiFX Surrounds
    SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
    PBJ Interconnects
    Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »

I could'nt agree with you more. A little story to share about my sr install. Out here, polk is 99.999% about the db series. 0.0008% is the momo / mm series. I am the 3rd person in a country of 1.08 billion to run the sr's. Hence as a brand its rated along with JBL and Xplod. Guys who run hertz deci look down their noses at polk. So I'm the lone polkie here. A couple of days before install date, I posted the date and time of install on some of the local forums.

Install Day : Got to the installer around 1pm. Those that know how clumsy and lousy I am with install related issues would appreciate my nervousness. So here I am at 3pm sanding down the 5x7 and 6" mdf rings trying to get a toe in and slight upward incline for the mid. The installer walks up to me and says that this ice guru from one of the forums, just happened to drop in and wants to listen to my install. 15 mts later there is a gaggle of 15 teenagers 18-20 years, fan boys of the said guru. I'm told how polk is now a made in china brand, how polk would never measure up to the elite brands like audison and genesis and rainbow and micro precison and dynaudio, ID, et al. These are all rich kids that have been conned into buying this expensive equipment and each kid is competing with the other kid based on VALUE of install and Brand Name, not on SQ. In this gaggle most kids are running 2-4 subs in a coffin.

6pm and my mids are finally installed. The shop closes at 7pm so I know I won't get my tweets done properly. 6:30 and the tweets are mounted on the dash in cross firing mode. Basic half **** job. I'm given 10 mts to tune before the horde of 30 odd people tear the polk setup to shreds.

6:45pm : The first ice guru auditions the sr's on diana krall and Jewel. He steps out of the car without saying a word. The next guru steps in listens for 5 mts and turns the volume down to tell me, decent tonality but your channel seperation is poor. My face must have registered a blank look so he explains, " Channel seperation is the ability to hear left and right channels seprately. In your setup its all merged and at the centre." :eek: Of the 30 odd fan boys who heard the setup 90% said what the so called gurus had mentioned the bal 10 % told me amazing sound but we can't admit this online.

The so called gurus here, all have commerical interests with various brands. Learnings from that evening;

1. High priced car audio gear is bought by kids 18-22yrs on their dad's expense account. These kids are clueless.
    2. No one here has a clue on what good sound is. The said gurus are just salesmen.
    3. Big brands (dyns, scan, audison, helix etc) will always out sell the smaller brands (polk). Product Quality is irrelevant. Brand Image is king.
    4. Pure SQ nuts are a dying breed. We're small in numbers and getting smaller. Our numbers cant support a brand like polk.

DEI is prob going to kill the sr range. Two months ago when I was seriously negotiating the sr prices with the dealer here, I saw the sr's falling off the radar. They went off Crutchfield Canada, the the US sites etc. I sent a mail to CS asking if the sr's were discontinued and got no reply.