Got zed?

mesquitehead
mesquitehead Posts: 312
edited December 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just got the final pieces of my puzzle in the mail today. I picked up a Zed Gladius and decided that the Zed Deuce would be a fine amp to run my low end with. I did some negotiating and trading with a fellow audio-head and got a perfect condition Deuce in the box with the manual. Shipping seems to be slooow right now and I was beginning to sweat it...but alas the beast has arrived! Mr Mantz is a fine designer and knows his stuff, reading the manual on the amps alone lets you know that he is interested in the sound rather than a bunch of industry hyped specs that mean little to nothing in the way an amp sounds. I'll be gutting the Tundra and fitting these in this weekend, have to mod my backseat to fold down then install an amp rack to mount the amps. There is little room in a Tundra for amps especially since I put a box with 4-8"s under the rear seat...still can't find my jack either! Being a bit older than the days when we used to run 2-12" subs off an original Punch 45 I have had to get up to speed with the current auto sound game and let me say there is sooo much more out there now it is difficult to weed out the good stuff. Thanks to the handful of folks around here who have helped me make some sense of it all. My wife will never want to ride in my truck again....:D
"Thats great... but how does it sound"
http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/audio_burgin_mcdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Polk SR6500
SI BM 12" subs
Zed Gladius
Zed Deuce
Post edited by mesquitehead on

Comments

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited December 2009
    very cool amps :). post pix of your whole setup will ya. And curious about 8s - hows the performance?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2009
    Nice score!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2009
    Nice score. Do you remember the days when Pyle was king of the drivers and Kenwood was king of the amps.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2009
    I ran a similar set up last year. SR6500 off a Gladius with the BB upgrade. Sounded amazing. Much better than with the Alpine PDX and JL audio amps. I ran two 8" subs ported and tuned to 29HZ off a Deuce. Eclispe CD7200 headunit. Truck quit and I donated it to the Salvation army. No room in new truck for amps that size. They are wonderful sounding amplifiers and you will love them. I haven't seen any of the new stuff from Mr. Mantz but his new amps are suppose to sound just as good but are smaller. We will just have to wait and see.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2009
    Nice score. Do you remember the days when Pyle was king of the drivers and Kenwood was king of the amps.

I remember those days. The one thing about Kenwood amps is that they sound the same today as they did then. Not really that good. They still like to fudge their output numbers though.
  • mesquitehead
    edited December 2009
    I recall a friend having a graphic eq/amp combo mounted under the dash, my first car stereo was from a JC Whitney catalog...awful crap!:eek:

Installer4life, these both have the BB upgrade and I look forward to getting them in the truck...but do not look forward to tuning!

Here is a pic of the Bostons in their custom box, as I mentioned before I had to "modify" one bracket with a grinder in order to get a tight fit. I would say the box weighs about 90-100# loaded, it is Gorilla glued, screwed and nailed...I made sure each speaker chamber was exactly to mfr specs for a sealed enclosure. We had to use a router behind each magnet inside the box to allow for airflow....but amazingly it fits perfectly under the rear drivers side seat. Still trying to decide the best location for the SR6500 tweeters and will likely have to move them around a bit before mounting them permanently....don't care to stick them in the factory dash location firing off the windshield again. My neighbor does fine fiberglass work and he mentioned maybe coming up with an enclosure of sorts but I cannot figure out where in the world we would mount them other than the doors and the pillars seem too far from the mid drivers....fact is I do not want to cut up my door panels or the cosmetic parts of the truck, I like a clean hidden install. I'll try and post some pics when I get all the dirty work completed. Thanks-

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce
  • dacoupedeville
    dacoupedeville Posts: 83
    edited December 2009
    Mesquite...love your taste in audio. SDA`s, RTA`s and even ZED. Respect.

I run SRS 2.3tl`s and SRS 3.1tl`s in the house.

In the car I run Zed made Planet Audio tube amps; they are awesome. I can only imagine what that Deuce and Gladius are going to do. My hvt7150 POUNDS...and also sounds sweet when required. But the Deuce and Draconia have been on my wish list for a while.

I`m jealous, enjoy!
    HT: SRT's.....Pioneer SC95, Oppo 105D; ps4; Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP; DirecTV

2 ch: SRS 1.2tl's.....Odyssey Stratos monos, Dynaco PAS pre w/Mods, Arcam DV-135, Music Hall MMF 5, AQ wires

Bedroom: SRS 3.1tl's, RTA 8T (phantom center), Pioneer sc-lx701, Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP, DirecTV, ps3

Car: SR 6500's.....Planet Audio HVT752 tube hybrid amps (2), Alpine dvd-a double din HU, two 12" Kicker's
  • mesquitehead
    edited December 2009
    Mesquite...love your taste in audio. SDA`s, RTA`s and even ZED. Respect.

I run SRS 2.3tl`s and SRS 3.1tl`s in the house.

In the car I run Zed made Planet Audio tube amps; they are awesome. I can only imagine what that Deuce and Gladius are going to do. My hvt7150 POUNDS...and also sounds sweet when required. But the Deuce and Draconia have been on my wish list for a while.

I`m jealous, enjoy!

Thanks man, if I only had a bigger house! I've been on the hunt for some of the larger members of the Polk family locally for a while but have yet to find them, sounds like you have plenty of the flagship Polks! I have slowly gathered this stuff over a couple of years and had to re-educate myself to the many brands out on the market. The Mantz designs were a natural fit as I work in the pro audio business and Mantz himself started out as a designer for pro gear, recording studio type stuff. I have yet to see the old tube stuff he did but imagine it is pretty interesting and not stuff you see every day. Right now I have a mountain of stuff piled in my living room as my truck has filled up with junk and needs to be cleaned out and detailed before it all goes back in...hard to find time to get organised this time of year...but I think over the holidays it will all get done finally, my son will be out of school and he is a pretty good hand at helping pops out with a project. Thanks again for the kind words. Post some pics of those tube amps if you get a chance.

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce