A Marriage of Marantz and Polk Audio

Wade Spradley
Wade Spradley Posts: 81
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Hello,

Thought I would Add to the Marantz thought here. My first piece of Marantz gear is a 5030B cassette deck owned since 1980, believe it or not I still have it. But it needs to be serviced, been in storage awhile and those cassette bands need to be changed. Any suggestions? Also I purchased a Marantz modell 2225 Receiver off of Ebay, and had to clean it out, due to it being totally dusted out on the insides. But boy does it sound good now with my Polk 5jr's. A very warm sound and best of all I enjoy the advantage of the Mid Range adjust on the receiver. Its definitely a no nonsense receiver that does not have all the bangs and whistle as its more advanced cousins. But its the sound that counts. Now I am just waiting to try it out with my rescued Series II M7's I rescued from a pawn shop. Shoud've seen the dust blow off the speaker cones as they were demonstrated on the cheap system they were hooked to. Even the Pawn Shop owner was impressed. So I bought them before he could take them home himself.;)
Post edited by Wade Spradley on

Comments

• Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    A quick question out there for those who have owned speakers for awhile. What is the proper way to clean dust off of the speaker cone's? Should nothing be done or just let it vibrate off the cones etc... as they are used?
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2003
    i have a simple feather duster seems to work fine for me.

scott:cool:
  • Wade Spradley
    edited April 2003
    Thanks,

What a unique piece of audio maintenace gear. Anyway, it reminds me, I need one for the apartment.

Wade,
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Yup... feather duster works nicely.

As for the Marantz... their Cust Service should be able to give you some leads. And depending on your location Wade, you should be able to scratch up a service shop that can handle old gear. If it's just the capstan drive bands you need, pull them and see what you can find to match them.

BTW.... still have my Sony deck from 1972...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD