Reuse of speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I totaled out my truck (Dodge Ram 1500)---Removed my newly installed Pioneer 3400, Polk GXR69's, and GXR5's----today I bought a 97 F150 exteneded cab----fit guide says EX368's---will my GXR69's fit---from what i've read on the site so far---look like the answer is no----could an audio pro help me out?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    gxr 69 -- im going to guess thats a 6x9" speaker.

and knowin a dodge <-- see screename -- they are 6x9 in teh front doors 5.25 or 6.25 in back.

ex 368 is a 6x8" speaker.

so no they wont fit exactly -- you'll have to take a jig saw and trim just a half an inch on each of the long ends of the speaker hole, then, assuming u've got enough depth, they'll fit fine.

also -- for u're backs .. 5.25" speakers will fit anywhere (less its like a 4" or 4x6" plate hole) but if you've got 5.25 / 6.25 or 6x9 or 6x8 or anything else in back it should be easy for you to just make a little plastic adaptor plate or buy one from www.sounddomain.com for 10 bucks and they'll fit in any size hole pretty much.

good luck dude. :)

too bad about the dodge :(

damn fords...lol.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2003
    First off, you guys are wrong about speaker sizes.

The Ford has 6x8 inch holes. No 6x9 will fit without cutting something. You don't have to cut metal. You can make a mounting bracket from sheet metal or fiberglass or even some sort of wood or MDF material. However, its going to mount them too high and you will have to cut the grille which is molded into the plastic of the interior panel.

However, no one makes adapter plates that will fit a 5x7/6x8 inch hole properly. I also don't see the point of using a 5.25 inch speaker. If it was a 5.25 inch hole and that is all the you could fit there then fine, go for it. Otherwise, don't waste the time. I have not seen a 5.25 inch speaker perform well at all without a larger mid-bass speaker to back it up.

I have personally mounted 6.5 inch speakers into 6x8 inch holes using sheet aluminum. Sheet steel would work well also. One can make mounting brackets from MDF or fiberglass too. The major issue is clearance. Sheet metal works best because it is thin, light and much much stronger than wood or fiberglas. You can usually pick up sheet metal from a hoem improvement or hardware store or a local metal shop may have scraps sitting around they they want to get rid of. 1/16 inch thick stuff would be plenty.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd get the Clarion Pro Audio plate speakers. They have a 5 inch driver with a 1 inch tweeter. Basically components on a plate. I'd mount those up front and throw some beefy Pioneer or JBL or even another set of Polks for the rear holes. That will give you your front sound stage definition yet still give you beefy speakers out back to fill in mid-bass and even mid-range and high-range support. Add a sub or two or three or whatever and you will be set the. The Clarions are only rated to 35W RMS but I am driving a set at 50W RMS and they are taking it well.

Me, I hate cutting up a vehicle for speakers so I will find any way that I can NOT to screw into a non-stock hole or mount a speaker in a non-stock hole or location. Only subs will I make an exception for unless I can get creative. Hell, the sub in my grilfriend's car is bungee corded in. I mounted crossovers with velcro. I have even zip tied a small stereo amp to the underside of a Jeep seat so screws wouldn't be poking the driver in the ****.

There is a way to do anything. Nothing is impossible. You just have to think about it before you do it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Rookie1
    Rookie1 Posts: 1
    edited April 2003
    Uhmm--how am i wrong about speaker size---i said what speakers i had---said what polk says my Ford needs---and was asking about using the GXR69's

The Ford is 6x8's front and rear---was just trying to reuse the 6x9's (GXR69)---didn't want to cut up anything to make it fit---i have a pretty decent system in the Ford---so i guess i know have some speakers and a deck for sale.

In my Ram i had the speakers mounted in place of the factory ones---so i threw the polk grills away----can the grills be bought so that i have a "complete package" for sale?

Thanks for the responses!