a question from another forum if you please...

THEJERMON
THEJERMON Posts: 96
edited December 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello Everyone,
Besides being a member of this forum, I'm also a member of a Spyder Forum called Spyderlovers.com. BTW, a spyder is a 3-wheeled machine w/2-wheels up front and one in back. You sit on it like a motorcycle.
Anyway, a member of that forum has an audio problem going on and I thought I would throw the question out to you Polkies to see if you have any ideas I may pass her way?
Here is her post:
Okay, now I don't have pictures up yet but I do have a question for anyone around who might know a little more about stereo and speaker installs than I do...

So I have installed my amplfier (160w Jensen) and ran my speaker wires to the respective speakers (four 50w speakers) HOWEVER I had to make two splices along the speaker wires going up to the front. I used soder and soderless connectors to make the connections using 18 gauge gold speaker wire. When I tested the system initially I was getting a lot of static and feedback on the speakers. Once I moved the power wire to the amp away from the speaker wires it improved quite a bit, but still not great. I also have installed an in-line noise filter on the power wire with no noticeable change.

My question is, is there something I can do with the connections I made on the speaker wire I used that can clean up the signal and give me a cleaner sound?
Post edited by THEJERMON on

Comments

• THEJERMON
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Lasareath,
    I sent her your response and told her how to get to this forum and have a look at what the Polkies are saying.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2009
    Static means a bad connection either with the speaker wires or the ground of the amp. Take a speaker out of the rig and wire it straight to the amp. If the noise is gone she needs to re-run the speaker wires because the splices are causing the problem. If the noise persists then check the ground and make sure its solid and secure.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • THEJERMON
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Polkies. Jerry
  • THEJERMON
    edited December 2009
    This is her latest response regarding her Spyder stereo stuff.
    Great stuff! Yeah I have the power wire away from the speaker wires. I will shorten the ground wire and check the connections to the front speakers. The speakers are wired directly to the amp, not the control unit.

I ran the system with the engine off and the static only seems to come up when I crank the volume up.

Thanks for all of the advice!!!
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2009
    Dump the jensen amps and most of your problems will go away. Sorry for being blunt but the build quality of that brand sucks. Under normal conditions speaker output wires will not pick up radiated noise from the power wire. Don't believe me take a BMW apart and you will notice that they run speaker wires along with the power wire running from the rear battery to the engine compartment. Now passive crossovers will pick up this noise. If you are running coaxial type speakers this should not be a problem. Good RCA's will elimate radiated noise on the low level or input side. Try a better amp..