my HORRIBLE day :o(

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
*playing taps*

I never thought I'd see the day but yesterday... one of my IDmax's crapped the bed.

Who'd of thunk that 1560 wRms would kill a 1000 watt sub? *eyes go back and forth like "not me" *.

Actually that's not even true... the other one is taking 1480 very happily... and like I said, they're only RATED at 1000. Hell of a sub.

Problem w/ the one that went is it was one of a few (i think 16?) that had a non compliant surround... less excursion than the cone was capable of and much much stiffer.

I'm guessing that the surround not "mixing well" with the rest of hte speaker's components caused it to be less able to deal with my driving it well beyond its rated limits. And so -- it **** the bed.

oh well.

3 days of work to get it out and put a new one in --- i'm not looking forward to that.

thank god for warranty.

However, on a GOOOOOOOOOD note.... I got a free amp.

My buddy gave me an old Mtx Blue Thunder 754... his boss had been using it for years and then it just kept blowing fuses and shutting off and no one could fix it -- so... it was relegated to me.

third channel was completely blown shut and two caps in the power supply had burst.

I've got two mostfets, two capacitors, and a coil coming in the mail from digikey -- me thinks that after that, she'll run like new.

I repainted the case in its factory color (7 years kind of takes a toll on an amps cosmetics). and she looks fantastic.

So i think my whole "i wnat a better amp for my fronts" dillema is solved... for free (well 5 bucks for parts + 6 shipping + a 5 dollar small order fee)... 150 x 2 at 4 ohms bridged w/ 0.3% thd or better at 12.5 V -- 280 x 2 at 14.4 (small power supply -- this amp is almost identical to the 6304 in design- even tho its pre-surface mount tech-, but the small **** power supply leads to a lower P rating for bridged mode).

I like these old amps with the push through boards... they're a lot easier to work on.

check it out.... http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder4300x.cfm

the blue thunder standard series was the same board as this 4300X -- only its got a dark navy blue case with heat sink ribbing in the middle.

anywho -- thats my long winded stupidity for the day.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2003
    You and me both. NJ state Unemployment denied me. Now they are sending me Void checks until they get the money back. Still waiting for my appeal. They said when I can finally collect 4/21 I will get 1 weeks worth. $284. My rent is due on the 1st. $675. The day I would call and get a full check. Oh well, Guess I get Evicted now. Last months was a little late. Still trying to sell on Ebay. Not much luck. 1 item selling for next to nothing. Job hunting? Still no luck. I sit here in th dark and wonder, Why do I bother to get up?
    Chris:(
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    chris,

i kinda feel like a **** bitching about a speaker when you're fighting for your life - literally.

but dude, dont get too down, it IS worth getting up in the morning, and it IS worth continuing to try to A) clear your name B) get new employment.

whats with "void" checks -- why would they send u a check if it says void on it? i dont understand the purpose of that.

u've prolly already looked into it, but what about like a firestone dealer or a michelin dealer -- if u worked for goodyear you'd think those same skills would make you perfectly suited for a similar job -- pep boys? autozone?

dude i'm hopin somethin good rolls your way, i hate to see you so down on yourself / life / etc.

try to keep your spirits up

-vinnie
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2003
    PBD.
    The void checks is the states way of saying you cant collect till they get back the money.
    Firestone? Dont know of any local. Applied to STS. Now its a waiting game with them.
    People think as an Auto Mechanic, I can get side jobs. Well that is partly true. Every now and then someone is knocking on my door. They broke something or cant get it back together. A problem of some sort. These people know I am not working and am having difficulties with the state. Unfortunately I end up fixing their problems for no more than a "Thank you". Same is true with my so called friend across the courtyard. he comes over only when he broke something on hs computer. Needs me to bail hm out before his wife "Kills him" Aside from that, I hear from him rarely. Now he comes over and wants to copy my Star Trek dvd set. After I pay for the videos, He thinks he is going to copy them for Free.
    I shouldnt complan to much, I have another friend here. he drives a truck. Delivers food to schools. Occasionally, He gets some. Gives me some to help me out.
    Chris