Bass!!! But not BASS!

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
After a rather lengthy conversation with my girlfriend we concluded that she want to have filling bass but not so loud it overwhelms her. I was thinking about 1 10 or 1 12. I am not real sure what I want..... I figured you guys could make some suggestions.. Just want filling bass not loud BOOM BOOM BOOM Bass.
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited April 2003
    I would reccomend a SEALED BOX. What car is she putting this in? So that we can help determine if a 10 or 12" will work.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    Image Dynamics IDQ 12 D2 -- $199 @ sounddomain.com
    350 rms single 4

Alpine SWR 1241D -- $115 @ ikesound.com
    300 rms single 4

Pioneer Pro TS-W3041C 12" -- $89 @ ikesound.com
    400 rms single 4 ohm

JBL GT 120 -- $75 @ sounddomain and ikesound
    250 rms single 4 ohm

for every subs except the JBL, i'd get the mtx 8302 on sale for 200 bucks closeout @ crutchfield -- 400 and change by 1 at 4 ohms or more.

the jbl you can do like a pionner gmx 572 for like 150 @ crutchfield.

thats just like off the top of my head...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ChevyMan4x4
    edited April 2003
    Honda Civic Coupe 2 dr EX
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Is Trunk space an issue? If so, I belive MTX makes a subwoofer that will fit in the side of the trunk. Maybe an Amplified model as well. Or you could get a nice Bazooka RS tube 10" DVC and run a BD500 or newer into it. They are about 24" long plus the airspace of 4" (If I remeber correctly)
    Just a thought. Sounds like she wants SQ more than SPL. Correct?
    Chris
  • ChevyMan4x4
    edited April 2003
    Yea.. and she wants to have atleast 1/2 of her trunck left
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2003
    Thanks for all the Polk support, guys. How about an MM10? Just a thought.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2003
    lmao
    but josh, he said he didnt want BASS...and so as polk fans, we all know that polk subs put out BASS, so we give him choices of other "lesser" brands...
    just a thought:D
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Josh
    Thanks for all the Polk support, guys. How about an MM10? Just a thought.

Is anyone here except you and Kim and Thom getting paid by Polk? I know I'm not. Eventhough I didn't reply to this thread yet, I think this is a tad off-the-cuff. Eventhough we frequent this forum and everyone here has or does own a Polk speaker of some sort, we have no obligation to promote Polk out the wazoo. If Polk was paying me then yes, I would have to agree with you. However, I don't see a need for anyone here besides the admins to be recommending Polk speakers. If Polk doesn't have anything to fit the application then, reluctantly, I'm not going to recommend Polk speakers. If Polk Audio feels that is a bad deal for them then Polk Audio needs to review thier speaker lines and determine if it fits not only what the market is looking for but also if it fits the direction that Polk Audio is looking to take thier company.

I'm probably going to get banned for that but, oh well.

As far as my recommendation goes, I'm gonna say to go and find a Polk dB10 and run about 200 watts on it in a sealed box. Polk does not make the dB anymore so whatever you find will have to be used or NOS. Good luck finding it too. However, IMO, that speaker would be your best bet and give you exactly what you are looking for.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited April 2003
    Well, it seems like I am the only one asking Questions. In an attempt to find out what She wants. Suggesting speakers is not always good. You have to find out "What the person wants?" Before you can make a sugestion. Heres another good Question, Is there a budget constraint? Do they have an amp? What other speakers does she have?
    Chris
  • ChevyMan4x4
    edited April 2003
    Well I was trying to out at about.... 300$'s I figure that would cover a good 10 or 12 and a mid range amp...
  • ChevyMan4x4
    edited April 2003
    In response you sould not get ban you where not dising polk you where merely saying if they don't have the application you need than don't push their products. Not too slam on the MM Line but I am really not a big fan of their price points I mean 299 for a 12 in a box is VERY prices when I can get two audiobahn flame Q 15's for just 50 dollars more.... But it's all about you taste in Bass...
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    Re - DB's --->

I would have recc. db's as well. but in leiu (or is it lieu?) of finding any of them in decent shape, a DX wouldn't be bad either.

www.adleraudio.com has polk DX12's and 10's in 4 ohm variety for like 60 - 90 bucks new in box. not many, but some. if they dont have any more I know www.speedsound.com can get you DX10-4's or 12-4's for 99 bucks + UPS shipping. DO NOT order from either of these places online -- call them on the phone and get phone confirmation of stock -- they're decent companies to deal with but their online inventory /order form isn't kept up to date. the only reason i know they have any is because of my recent purchases.

so call that 130 at worst for pricing on a single sub. you've got 170 left for an amp that'll do 400 x 1 at 4 ohms and 14.4 v.

that's not too hard to do. Hell if all else fails... Profile California series the new aluminum cased ones are not bad at all... they're not tub thumpers, but they're decent, and for 110 ebay you can get an amp that's like 600 x 1 at 4.

i think a single 12 should be enough for a lil honda. should give you good sound quality while at the same time bumping with enough "whump" to make u happy.

RE - POLK RECC -->

I saw no reason to post a momo 12 when for 29 dollars less he can get an IDQ 12 that'll run circles around the momo, get louder with less power (greater sensitivity) and has a conservative 350 wrms rating when in reality it does about 450 - 500 // the momo at 650... but like i said, at 500w, the idq is louder than the momo at 6+.

I like the momo, but really wish product improvements would come.

Polk put out the momo few years ago and I wanted one more than life itself. But time has shown it to fall below the standards by which I'd deem a sub worthy of a 230 dollar retail cost. Especially since the downgrade in cosmetics. Yes, the new momo is a bit more rugged, "industrial", and reliable than the Gen1, also, it sounds a little better. But the elimination of the "pretty" magnet cover with stamped momo logo and allen head screws along with the elimination of the colorful dustcap (inverted is fine, but you really could have A) dressed it up better B) made it simple but more awestriking.... basically leaves myself and others going "that's 229 retail?"

If polk as a company wants the momo sub to be adored for its performance rather than its cosmetics, then by all means, take a hint from the DB/DX and other mfg's like ID and DD.

those three lines are not liked for their cosmetics at all. The DB was one hell of a sub... the DX wasn't too far behind. ID makes SICK sq products, and DD is a legend in the lanes. None of them LOOK GOOD AT ALL.

Basic Black + Performance = dollars in company pockets.

Flash + Lack of the sound that made your customers love you in the first place = people start buying other stuff.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge