That bug is biting me

Options
botany
botany Posts: 68
edited April 2003 in Electronics
Hello, I am thinking of getting a new receiver. I have now a H/K 520 which I would put in the bedroom if I get this new receiver. First I need to tell what speakers I have before I say what receiver I am looking getting.

Front speakers RTi70's
Center speaker CSi40
Sub PSW 650 (front)
Side rear FXi30's
Rear FXi50's
Rear sub PSW 202

With that all said, I am looking at getting: Pioneer Elite vsx-49TXi
What do you think? Over kill? buy a different receiver? I'm nuts (that I already know).

Any help would be great.

Botany (Kris)
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I don't think you can ever overkill when you purchase the piece of equipment that is the BOSS in your system :)

I don't care for Pioneer, but that is a very nice choice, at least it is the Elite lineup. Is that the only one? There is another forum discussion about the Denon/Rotel choice. Sony ES line is nice also, you have alot of options.

Are you mainly for HT?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2003
    Options
    olny coment i can recomend is swith your sides with your rears. aka put your 50 on the main surounds and put the 30 on the rear suround.

and look at denon and onkyo they are my 2 choiceses for good quality recevers. if you go up from there get a b&k. i wish i waited on my recever. my savings is for a b&k ref 50 or 200.7 next. proabley the amp.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Options
    When I started thinking about a new receiver which is the h/k 520, I added an external amp and used the h/k as a pre/pro. Great way to get started into seperates.

my 2c
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I'm with HBomb on this one. Why don't you get some external amps and in a few years you can get a dedicated pre/pro.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Hey Kris,

For the dough you would be spending on the PE 49, could you also get the B&K 507 at almost the same price? For that kind of dough 5 year warranty vs 2 for the PE 49. Also ability to drive 4 ohm speakers like LSis (in case you get some more upgradeitis in the future) should be a prerequisite in my opinion.

Here's another twist. Outlaw audio has a package deal going on right now on 7 channel seperates Model 950 preamp 7.1 channels and the Model 7100 power amp 100 X 7 for like $1698. Outlaw seems to have a strong following growing in here too.

Hbomb, Frank Z, Beginner's luck, they might be able to fill you in some more about Outlaw. 30 day trial period to boot and save a lot of $$$$ if you like the sound.

You could also get into some Adcom seperates in this price range that you are looking at too.

You have a lot of choices here with that kind of budget. I would get something to drive low impedance speakers though if it were me.

Paul