FWD vs RWD

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
After having somewhat of a debate in class... We argued over which handles better giving normal dry asphalt... I said RWD they say FWD so which is it???
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2003
    Depends.

First off, define "handling".

Really, there is no answer to the debate as to which is better. Any car can be made to handle well. It's just easier to make some cars handle than it is to make others handle.

It really boils down to opinion and driving style. I can point to quite a few cars that are front wheel drive and corner like they are on rails. But then I can point to many RWD cars that are front, rear and mid-engined that will also corner like they are on rails. Afterall, its not the drive wheels that dictate how the car will perform in its interaction with the driving surface. Suspension type and configuration, weight, weight balance and steering gear and configuration have alot more to do with it than drive wheels.

Examples:

FWD cars that can handle well: Dodge Neon ACR, Honda Civic Si, Ford Focus SVT, Acura Integra Type R, Acura 3.2CL S-Type...

FWD cars that handle like pigs on rollerskates: Buick Park Avenue, Lincoln Continental, Chevy Celebrity, Ford Tempo...

Front engined RWD cars that can handle well: Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang Cobra, Ford Mustang Cobra R, Mercedes Benz AMG E55, BMW M5, BMW M3, Jaguar XKE, Aston Martin DB7, Mazda RX7, Mazda Miata, Nissan 240 SX/ZX, Lexus IS300...(this list can go on and on)

Front engined RWD cars that handle like pigs on rollerskates: Lincoln Town Car, Buick Roadmaster...(there really aren't that many "cloud cars" left)

Mid engined RWD cars that handle well: any Ferrari, Toyota MR2, Lotus Elise, Lotus Esprit, McLaren F1, this list can also go on and on

Mid Engined RWD cars that handle like pigs on roller skates: All we really need is one, Pontiac Fiero.

Rear engined FWD cars: non-exist that I know of.

rear engine RWD cars that handle well: Porsche 911...thats all we really need since most of the cars in this category are Porsches anyway.

rear engine RWD cars that handle like pigs on rollerskates: Volkswagen Beetle, Volkswagon Thing, Chevy Corvair

Front engined AWD vehicles that handle well: Subaru WRX, Jaguar X-type, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8...

Front engined AWD vehicles that handle like pigs on roller skates: Subaru 1600 GL...I really can't remember that many in this category

Rear engined AWD vehicles that handle well: Again, Porsche 911

Rear engine AWD vehciles that don't: can't recall any.

The point is, any car can be made to handle well regardless of drivetrain configuration. Hell, look at pickup trucks. Both the Current and the future Lightnings are deep into sports car territory with their levels of performanceand they are full size trucks. Same goes for the future RAM SRT and teh Chevy Silverado SS. There is also teh GMC Typhoon/Syclone twins that were the fastest production vehicle at one point. Then look at teh starndard issues of those vehicles and see what comes of it, pigs on roller skates. Same goes with SUV's.

That main thing is, any vehicle can be made to handle well. Its just easier to get one vehicle to handle well than it is to get another vehicle. It all depends on circumstance and the amount of dollars you have to throw at it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    pigs on rollerskates... LMFAO.... hahahahhaha.... i just kept reading it... "cars that handle good...c ars that handle like pigs on rollerskates" ... LOLOL.

well ... chiming in here i'll say this...

i prefer rear wheel drive/four wheel drive versus front wheel drive / all wheel drive.

its preference, not doctrine.

RWD tend to pick up faster, attain higher speeds, and handle better at those higher speeds... while i'll grant u that a FWD does corner better and does usually pulll into a parking spot better (again -- GENERALLY... u can't compare a porsche to a ford focus...lol... i'd take or porsche over anything else on the road -- not that i'll ever repeat that in front of my truck since i'd hurt his poor feelings)

FWD dont seem to be able to put the horse on the ground like RWD either.

I dont like how in AWD u just go sideways when u slide... that does not make me feel comfortable at all... and hte variance of the wheels doing whatever the computer tells them is no comfort either... hence why i like a good old lever operated shift on the fly 4wd.

i guess none of what i said really ha dmuch to do with handling except the AWD / 4wd thing.... but it goes toward overall "feel" of a car.

some people like zippy and cornering on a dime... other people like a looser vehicle that's still tight in general but "floats" more than it "zips".

i still think AWD is sent from hell though...lol
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2003
    i think front wheel drives corner better, due to the fact that the front tires are pulling the car rather than pushing the car
    but then again, if you need to make a corner really fast...the rear wheel drive cars will let you spin to make sharper corners at higher speeds
    but id rather have a rear wheel drive vehicle
    i dunno...theres just a better feel about it
    but thats just me
    plus theyre easier to work on
    as far as awd being sent from the devil...id take a subaru wrx sti(i think its the sti's)
    those cars are NICE
    or the 3000GT's
    but anything bigger than a car with awd i wouldnt touch
    id rather have to manually lock the hubs
    lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    get this -- the wrx sti -- it comes with no interior -- just two Sparco seats, seat belts, a gauge pod cluster with your tach / speedo / etc, and a steering wheel. no carpet no door panels no radio no dash, no nothin....lol

totally a rally car... totally -- fully set for customization.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited April 2003
    i want one...but the first thing i would get is carpet...then speakers...
    then wait for it to rain and test out the all wheel drive...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    the guy i work with has one on pre-order.... he's going to glass the **** out of the interior.... prolly end up lookin somethin like alpine's old demo car.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited April 2003
    must be nice
    i wish i was rich...
    *looks at his 96 chevy truck outside*
    well...at least its gm...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    he's p ayin 26 grand for it, but this dude works like 4 jobs and **** and busts his **** with 90 hour weeks...

he's earned it i think. and he does all the work (engines / bodies / glass / audio / interiors) himself so it wont cost him much to make it "phat".
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    get this -- the wrx sti -- it comes with no interior -- just two Sparco seats, seat belts, a gauge pod cluster with your tach / speedo / etc, and a steering wheel. no carpet no door panels no radio no dash, no nothin....lol

totally a rally car... totally -- fully set for customization.

What year? If it's the 2004, you and your friend is full of crap. Even the Type RA over in Japan has a full interior, and it's the race version without any A/C.

AWD drifts controllably, RWD kicks the backend out.

AWD is far better for just about anything than FWD/RWD.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2003
    the US model new subaru STI of which this coming year is the first production year for the USA so there is no question as of which year... comes base with nothing but seats, belts, and a gauge cluster.

half a dash.

whether or not the japanese production version is the same is not the question.

i'm sure if/when dealers pick up these cars they will be offering them with full interiors --- same way the mustang can come with the Saleen package or the Viper with the Hennessy (spelling) but that doesn't mean they came that way to begin with.

am i positive? no -- but his pre-purchase owner welcome kit / manual / whatcha majigger detailed whta he was getting... base model car...

i dunno -- we'll see when it comes out i guess.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2003
    In order of best to worst. AWD, RWD, FWD. If you are refering to race chassis.
    AWD gives neutral drift and maximum traction out of the apex. RWD has throttle control over oversteer/understeer. and the drive wheels have weight transfer and anti squat to help traction. FWD the chassis can be sorted to understeer (like most cars come OE) neutral or oversteer. Out of the corner apex the weight transfer upon acceleration is on the non driven wheels and you loose traction. The main disadvantage to FWD is once the car goes into oversteer, all you can do is let off the gas don't touch the brakes and pray! If it understeers, all you can do is hold the throttle and again pray! Where as AWD and RWD you have some control beyond the chassis traction threshold.

Of course this doesn't realy apply to street cars due to the many variations in chassis design. But on cars with equal power to weight ratios and equal drivers that is the finishing order AWD, RWD, FWD.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited April 2003
    http://www.nasioc.com/sti/SOA_04STi_Gallery/

Funny, I see a full interior.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200