Oversight or overall expense

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
I find that the DX3065 components sound much better than I had expected. As far as car speakers go, I don't think I've heard anyother car speaker that can reproduce sound, quite as well as they. They sound superb. However, there is one aspect about them that is putting a major damper on my listening enjoyment. The fact that these speakers are rated @ 100 watts RMS with a maximum rating of 130 watts, I find rather discouraging to say the least. I find it hard to think that the talented engineers over there at Polk, did not take into consideration that many of todays car amplifiers are able to produce a great deal of dynamic headroom. It is my belief that the 100 watt "continueous power" rating is rather misleading. Since most of the higher quality car amplifiers that carry a rating of 100 watts RMS (that's: 100 watts of continueous music power) per channel can or is able to produce dynamic headroom in excess of 3 dB or more. Why would you design a speaker to be powered by an amplifier with a dynamic headroom of 1.1 dB? (if my math is correct) As far as I'm concerned it is a major issue. However, it's one that adds only a slight anount of tarnish to an otherwise excellent set of speakers.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the good words and for the caveats. (Have you tried signing on again, too?)

I will bring your post to the attention of some of the engineers (Kim is obviously asleep at the wheel), and see if we can get them to post some responses.

Watch this space.

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney