couple questions

JLHunter18
JLHunter18 Posts: 5
edited April 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Ok where to start...

97 Explorer Sport. Two GNX104 SVC's in a Q-Logic type 2 1.0 cu. ft box . Right now I have a Crap amp (Pryamid PB449X 2x125 rms) that I got for free and Definately want to replace.
Question 1: what amp should I get, the best amp I can buy for less than 400? or should I wait for the new Polk amps?
Question 2: Right now I have 8 guage power wiring...will I need 4 guage?
# 3: The whole back of the car rattles alot already, it'll only get worse with more power...how do I fix it?
# 4: I really want an Alpine CDA-7897 head unit, but $600?
And finally down the road I hope to get a pair of MM6 components in the front, but I dont know if they will fit, and what amp should I use for those?

Any help would be great,

Jon
Post edited by JLHunter18 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,183
    edited April 2003
    if you had momo subs i'd say wait for the new amps to "match"... but with the gnx... the reply i gave to the other post fits here..
    MONO AMPS-- in order of quality (best last)...
    all prices at sounddomain.com except the profile amp its at crutchfield.com

1-US Acoustics USX 600D - 169
    2-Profile CA400M or 600M - 149
    3-Lightning Audio B2.350.1 -- 179
    4-Kicker 400.1 -- 349
    5-JBL BP 300.1 -- on sale for 199
    6-MTX 4250d or 421D -- 4250D on sale for 209, 421 is 299
    7- Power 351M -- 249

... the best buy for the dollar woul dhave to be the Lightning... as I think it gives the reliability and quality of build of the more expensive/better amps (lightning is all fosgate boards) but still has a really low price in comparison. the 351M is a hell of an amp though and i think its the best bet for those subs long term / power / quality wise. but any of those will work.

the only 2 ohm stable class AB 2 channel i can think of off top of my head is the USamps 400A -- does 400 x 1 (UNDERRATED by a longshot) at 2 ohms bridged with a total harmonic distortion so low that it puts all of the class D mono amps listed above to absolute shame... while i dont know the price offhand i can tell you safely that I think its in the 400 dollar range retail -- maybe 200 ebay?

re power wire --> if you are only using anY ONE of the amps i listed... then 8 gauge will suffice.... if you use two amps of that power -- 4 gauge.

re rattling --> fixing rattle is difft in every car.

re momo's fitting --> if you have a 5.25" or 6.5" openeing with adequate backspacing they'll fit fine -- and power? 125 - 175 x 2 at 4 ohms.

re alpine head --> you can get older better alpines for cheaper... the 9815 which is one hell of a sweet alpine head (actuall a new model) is only 440 retail / 300 ebay. look at pioneers too.... 7000 series (old or new) can be had for varying prices (older cheaper).
    "With your own attitude it is hard to survive here... But who gives a damn, we are here to change the world, and we dont need a password for that."
    - Anurag