New Amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright. I got 2 10" GNX104s. I have a Kenwood 629-s Amp running to them. Heres the specs for the amp:

Specifications

Maximum Power Output:

Bridged Into A 4-Ohm Load: 350 watts x 1
Per Channel Into A 4-Ohm Load: 120 watts x 2
Rated Power Output:

Bridged Into A 4-Ohm Load: 150 watts x 1
Per Channel Into A 2-Ohm Load: 75 watts x 2
Per Channel Into A 4-Ohm Load: 60 watts x 2

It doesnt sound bad but after lots of bass the amp heats up and turns off. So I want a new amp. Can yall make any suggestions on an amp?

I think right now the speakers are bridged. I'm not sure cause my dad hooked it up for x-mas and so as long as i dont have to pay for it i'm fine. Help me out please.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    that amp is NOT 2 ohm stable bridged... therefore its the WRONG amp for those speakers.

bridged its doing 120 x 1 --- thats 60 watts per speaker which is WAAAAYYY to little power.

and hte reason its heating up / shutting off is like i said its NOT 2 ohm stable in the bridge...

you need an amp that does 300 x 1 - 400 x 1 RMS at 2 ohms bridged or mono.

such an amp would be a 2 ohm stable bridgeable class AB amp or a 2 ohm stable Mono class D or T amp.

suggestions...

MONO AMPS-- in order of quality (best last)...
    all prices at sounddomain.com except the profile amp its at crutchfield.com

1-US Acoustics USX 600D - 169
    2-Profile CA400M or 600M - 149
    3-Lightning Audio B2.350.1 -- 179
    4-Kicker 400.1 -- 349
    5-JBL BP 300.1 -- on sale for 199
    6-MTX 4250d or 421D -- 4250D on sale for 209, 421 is 299
    7- Power 351M -- 249

... the best buy for the dollar woul dhave to be the Lightning... as I think it gives the reliability and quality of build of the more expensive/better amps (lightning is all fosgate boards) but still has a really low price in comparison. the 351M is a hell of an amp though and i think its the best bet for those subs long term / power / quality wise. but any of those will work.

the only 2 ohm stable class AB 2 channel i can think of off top of my head is the USamps 400A -- does 400 x 1 (UNDERRATED by a longshot) at 2 ohms bridged with a total harmonic distortion so low that it puts all of the class D mono amps listed above to absolute shame... while i dont know the price offhand i can tell you safely that I think its in the 400 dollar range retail -- maybe 200 ebay?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge