Amps and Sub Question

jamas33
jamas33 Posts: 89
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can u bridge two mono amps to power three subs?
Equipment List:
Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
Planet Audio P13.3
Ipod 60 GB
XBox
AMPS:
Kicker KX1200.1
Kicker KX850.4
Speakers:
Front: Kicker RS65
Rear: Kicker RS65
Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
Post edited by jamas33 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    define the term "bridge".

let me explain...

---> if you have three dual voice coil subs - then you have six total coils. you can take three of those coils and run them off one mono amp -- and then run the other three off another mono amp... as such you're runnin 3 subs off 2 amps.... just be sure that the three coils do not go below the rated impedance of the amp unless you are positively sure that the amp CAN do that load.

---> if you have three single VC subs then you have three coils and you either parallel or series them or do whatever so that they are a single "load" with a single + and - hookup... now... if for example they equal a 4 ohm load... (like 3 12 ohm subs in parallel) you can take two TWO ohm stable amps and "strap" them together to that one hookup.

This involves a whole process of inverting phase on one of the amps and then always being sure that the total load of the subs is at least TWICE the lowest stable impedance of each mono amp.... two two ohm stable amps require a 4 ohm load.

the actual process of strapping amps is not something i've done any research on... i've seen it, heard about it, read a thing here or there, but i could not accurately tell you how to do it... like i said, all i know is you need to flip phase on one... you can talk to somebody at Kicker or Orion or even Mtx if they're in teh mood, and they'll surely be able to talk you through it... the Kicker and Orion amps have a "phase flip" switch on them that is specifically for strapping two amps together. but again, talk to a technician before you attempt it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited April 2003
    Thanks for the input.

What I was thinking about is can I get two mono amps rated at 400rms @ 4 ohm/800 @ 2 ohm and have them power three polk momo subs? that is the configuration I was trying to figure out.
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    three momo 12's is a 1.33 ohm load.... you can't strap those two amps u mentioned to those subs.

800 + 800 = 1600 watts / 3 subs = 533 per sub.

its much cheaper for you to get something like an autotek stealth 1500.1 -- which does 1500 watts (or more) at 1 ohm. expect maybe 1400 at 1.33 .... that'd be like 470 per sub... thats plenty.

you can even run em off the 81000d --- and get about 500+ per sub.

amps can be had cheap -- i saw a dude sellin a 1000d for 200bucks used.

a used jbl 1200.1 will run ya 150 or so and that'd give you 400 per sub.

personally, i'd do the autotek.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge