$16 well worth it.

Options
ncw
ncw Posts: 62
edited April 2003 in Speakers
I spent $16 for #16 AWG oxygen free copper wires to replace #18 brand XYZ speaker wires. Wow, the difference is not just subtle --- it is obvious even after adjusting for the volume level --- improved clarity of the vocal and instrumental music, highs and lows.

Has anyone tested the difference between #16 AWG and #12 AWG?
Post edited by ncw on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i like 14 guage myself.. i have tried the #12 too. it's nice.. i think your biggest improvement was upping from the #18. why did you not go with #14 or #12 instead of the #16? was the price that much more for the #14 or #12?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ncw
    ncw Posts: 62
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I searched around for info on www.polkaudio.com and other places on the Net and found that the most common manufacturer recommendation is #16 for 50ft or less. I'm aware of special cables like Monster XP and larger gauge size that were said to improve speaker sound. However since I have humble speakers and receivers I did not feel that #12 or 14 AWG was necessary, plus the clumsy factor of big wires. I thought the biggest improvement is using wires made of pure copper that is oxygen free, as recommended by Belden Cable Co.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Never think it can't make a difference. MX has been chanting on for a few weeks now about how his new Adcom opened up the "modest" RTi35.