classic polk fan? what's changed?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited November 2009 in The Clubhouse
I heard some pretty passionate people speak at PolkFest 09. Like Lightman, who believes that Polk, having grown bigger in the marketplace, has left behind its "grass roots" beginnings. In fact, KAB told me that Polk Audio is, indeed, the largest speaker manufacturer (at the retail level) today!

Are you a "classic Polk" afficianado? How has Polk Audio, the product and the company, changed in your eyes since you bought your first set of speakers? I'm interested in your opinions. What's missing? What got better? What do you want to see in the future, a return to the "handmade" ethos (how?) or an expansion of the brand?

I'm interested in hearing serious stories and insights.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have not paid close attention to the levels Polk has grown throughout the years. I never really cared for the classic Polk speakers either. You know, the big ones with speakers all over it. I have had quite a few experiences with the LSI series throughout the years, many came and left my hands within weeks. The first pair of LSI 9's intrigued me enough to go lurking on this forum for many years before officially joining. The thing that was missing for me was the soundstage and too laid back sounds from the LSI's. I like more detail on the vocals and instruments, as well as tighter cleaner mids and bass.

I do not see that anything has become better, because not really much has been made since the conception of the LSI series.

Today, I am curious as to how good the SDA's sound. From the endless appreciated comments on the sound of these big speakers, I could only wait for a chance to give them a listen. I am more on the end product side of things but if I were to have input on future products it would be as follows. Several members have modified their speakers by upgrading the caps, and state noticeable improvements. I draw my conclusion that the speakers lack in this area.

Halen
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I miss the large bookshelf speakers that were popular in the 70's. Now it's either mighty-mouse size, or a floor stander. What happended to the killer trilogy? 10 or 12" woofer, 4" midrange, 1" tweeter? I'd like to see a return of the classics; ditch the silver plastic fascia, needle-width look. SDA's, in their original format, sans the cheesey particle board of the 70's.

It took Chevy, Ford, and Dodge forever to figure out their famous muscle cars would sell like hotcakes if they didn't look like Kias....BAM! Build it, and they will come.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I miss refridgerator-shaped speakers in general. Not just from this company, either.

Yeah, towers are more convienent, but who cares?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2009
    Options
    What's changed?

Well car audio isn't really a separate brand anymore and doesn't have a department of it's own nor any more "install bay". That's a drag. I mean, it's business and all but, kinda feels like abandonment too. Although, it was nice to finally get the SR series. Ever since the plain-jane but high performing dB series was discontinued for the DX series and then reincarnated as "entry level" to replace the aging EX series, the line was lacking a hardcore performer. But now, gone are the flashy MOMO series and embarrassing GNX and here we have the stealthy SR series as well as a new MM...well, it's not really new either considering the Mobile Monitors back in the day...but, with the new db series, MM series and SR series along with the lines of amps, the car audio catalog is solid but something tells me it's not long for this world. I gotta pick up some more sets of SR's before they go the way of the dodo and the dB series.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The new stuff is:

*cheaper in price.
    *much better bang for the buck.
    *made overseas, mostly I would rather buy something made in the US.
    *mostly molded with no real woodworking involved. I like to know someone crafted it.
    *a better chance of being wired properly.
    *no smell inside from illegal substances. (see previous reason) :)

The older systems were:

*big, I like big.
    *stunning in sound quality
    *stunning visually
    *great bang for the buck but at a higher dollar level.
    *more charizmatic.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I up to this weekend only had the classic polks my RTA 12b's. I have also heard alot of vintage polks like the SDA's. I also enjoyed listening to Lou's LSI's and now have my RTi 1a's and after listening to them this weekend at the fest I was quite impressed. To me the newer speakers are quite good and would buy more but I still love the classic polks as they gave me my start in audio.

I would love to see the SDA's come back as well as alot of other members but it most likely wont happen.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I think that what has been Polk’s “bread and butter" of the last 20-30 years is now a soon to be extinct product. The "box" speaker...well made, good performance, "bang-for-the-buck" that sits in a room, wired to amplification and a source to play music or a HT soundtrack will not survive, IMO...at least not on a mass market level.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I feel Polk audio has done perfect with their direction of product marketing with the way the public has been changing how they listen to music and watch movies.

I'm amazed speaker manufacturers can stay in the black.

Alot of people I know are going the way of downloads and ear-buds.Home theater in a box sound pleases the general publics' ears and wallets.

The public can't miss what they haven't heard.:(

Alot of us are still trying to teach but fewer and fewer care about it. Look at the music thats been produced lately for the masses.What wins alot of Emmys for pop gives my wife and I head-aches.

I'm adding the likes of allison Krauss and Diana Krall sometime soon.High quality artists...

I aplaud Polk audio for their perseveance!!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It was Lightman or Ted who mentioned to me that they appreciated that Polk Audio, by making quality speakers at reasonable prices, made it easier for newbies to get into audio and better appreciate their audio options (and then maybe move up to more expensive, higher-end gear).

That Polk Audio was, in a sense, the ultimate "starter speaker."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • potee
    potee Posts: 610
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It was Lightman or Ted who mentioned to me that they appreciated that Polk Audio, by making quality speakers at reasonable prices, made it easier for newbies to get into audio and better appreciate their audio options (and then maybe move up to more expensive, higher-end gear).

MC

Speaking of newbies. I never had a real system for 5.1 untill I saw an ad for monitor 60,s then found this site and found out for $600.00 I could see if I liked it. So yes inexpensive speakers will get people started. I know I'll upgrade again.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2009
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    I think that what has been Polk’s “bread and butter" of the last 20-30 years is now a soon to be extinct product. The "box" speaker...well made, good performance, "bang-for-the-buck" that sits in a room, wired to amplification and a source to play music or a HT soundtrack will not survive, IMO...at least not on a mass market level.

I dunno Shack,they said the same thing about turntables too. Just don't see being emotionally connected to the music happening by way of an IPOD and ear buds. Age may play a role also. No matter what you record on,you will still need speakers unless your satisfied with an I-DOCK or Boze wave,then I guess it wouldn't matter.If that was the case though,audio sites in general would disappear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    edited November 2009
    Options
    tonyb wrote:
    I dunno Shack,they said the same thing about turntables too.

I never said they would go away. I said they would not be mass market...just like TTs are not market items...just like tube gear is not mass market...just like pre-amps and 2 channel amps are not mass market. IMO good freestanding speakers will be a niche item...for those who want them...just like the above mentioned audio products.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited November 2009
    Options
    tonyb wrote:
    Just don't see being emotionally connected to the music happening by way of an IPOD and ear buds. Age may play a role also. No matter what you record on,you will still need speakers unless your satisfied with an I-DOCK or Boze wave,then I guess it wouldn't matter.If that was the case though,audio sites in general would disappear.

I disagree. My oldest daughter LOVES music and has lots of tunes going back to the early 60s (motown, classic rock, etc) all the way up through todays music. She likes many genres. She buys lots of used CDs and loads them into her MacBook Pro and then into her iPhone. Her library consists of nearly 10,000 songs. She was certainly exposed to "quality sound" at an early age, and she had a couple of decent mini-audio systems in her room growing up. She doesn't own a freestanding pair of speakers...nor does she want any. She is perfectly happy with ear-buds/headphones. She does actually like my Sennheisers because they are sealed and comfortable but that is as far as she goes into "high end" audio.

At Polkfest last year we were introduced to a couple of folks "in the business" whose tastes in music and gear were similar to my daughter. It is what they want and they enjoy their music alot. It probably is a generational phenonmenon...but just as valid as what we do.
    tonyb wrote:
    If that was the case though,audio sites in general would disappear.

Like much of the gear...audio sites will always be around for the enthusiast.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I mentioned emmys earlier. I ment grammys.:o

I think younger people in general still like music but I think they want it mobil and more compact.My daughter has heard my systems but just doesn't seem to care.....????? Her music doesn't require quality play-back I guess...

I've had alot of musicians who love hearing music on some of my systems. They just havn't been exposed to it in this way. The SDA-SRS2's are the jaw droppers for them. They really make music(good recordings anyway)sound live to us.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well,we shall see if it stands the test of time as quality audio has,so far anyway. Turntables once thought to be dead,started showing back up in mass produced box stores,so who knows. This generation will probably be deaf by our age anyway with their cell phones and IPOD's in their ears all day.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I just finished listening to "Puzzle" by Dada on my massaged 20 year old Polks and could not be more thrilled with their performance.

Like others have said we are the few and far between and the masses go for the slick looking easy to set up speakers that work with today's TV's. I think Polk has done a fine job with the current line up for the masses. I was particularly impressed with the TSi500's and RTi A1 at PF even though they had equipment driving them that their target demo would not even know existed. I did not even know those amps existed.

Sure I would like to see a new SDA speaker line aimed at the few and far between but I just don't see that making good business sense and I would not be able to afford them for another 20 years or so anyway. But we live in America so anything is possible.:D

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Liked
    small american company
    Domestic manufacturer
    started by a bunch of guys in a garage, and made it (the American dream)
    20-25 years into it, most all the original players were still at Polk Audio
    Great value
    Great sounding speaker lines
    SDA speakers
    soft dome tweeters
    killer 6 1/2 driver
    passive rad. cabinet designs
    Started a forum that gave insight, asked for our opinions, seemed to care
    a little heart over the "i" told me you loved me

still american owned, but by a holding company (why do I care? hate big business), deduction for that, sorry
    still see some care and passion about making great speakers, and what the little guy wants
    Polkfest

Don't like
    China manufacturering, sorry but I hate that fact about Polk Audio
    mixed bag of value these days, examples:
    - LSi series a real steal, and some that have too high a price
    - Sat 30 pair and Sub 10, does anyone there realize this outdoor speaker system costs 600.00?
    - VM20 with stands is a 1400.00 dollar pair of speakers that need a sub!

not that this can be helped, but one by one the old guard is leaving, I am afraid when the remaining old timers go, so goes any care of the individuls here, the big machine will be complete
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2009
    Options
    LOL I am to young to remember older speakers. I would like to get a set of older polks one day.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Polks 2.3 Carver's Tuner, Amp. and Pre Amp in listening room..
    Boom, boom, room, Lsi 9's 5.1 csi5 center, Rotel's Amp.. Pioneer 42"
    Bedroom Polk RM 20 speaker system, PSW 111, and a 42 Hitachi Plasma
    A retired happy camper, with some great Polk Speakers!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Technology does have improvements. Such an argument as carbs v. fuel injection or cc's v. rpm's

BTW, I do not think the sound discolorations of SDA cabs could hold a candle against the tech advanced cabs of todays higher end speakers.

Still interested in knowing how a big box with many speakers will sound. If it sounded so great, many of you will still have them today. Considering the for sale threads.

Halen
  • buymesome
    buymesome Posts: 281
    edited November 2009
    Options

MC

I believe lightmn to be correct on polk giving people a taste to expand their palette for a bigger meal . At the same time they are like the meat and potato in a way that youl never get sick of them the way you do with more exotic flavors

I love polk and I think maybe they should branch out and give us somthing new like ribbon speakers o hybrid electrostatic's similar to martin logan but with the value for money of a polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited November 2009
    Options
    BTW, I do not think the sound discolorations of SDA cabs could hold a candle against the tech advanced cabs of todays higher end speakers.

You are dead wrong.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2009
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Technology does have improvements. Such an argument as carbs v. fuel injection or cc's v. rpm's

Still interested in knowing how a big box with many speakers will sound. If it sounded so great, many of you will still have them today. Considering the for sale threads.

Halen

Hey,

Many here not only still have them today but they are some of the MOST sought after speakers on this site...didn't you notice all the threads that are circulated daily about just where one can pick up some SDAs...

And many of us wbo have modern Polks also buy SDAs and run them in 2 channel systems, leaving the current Polks for HT service, etc.

Once again F1nut..short and sweet!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Although the speaker product has changed over the years,one thing has remained and possibly improved,Customer Service,, the attitude of " we want to get it right the first time" has always impressed me,I get a feeling that they DO,give a crap,and that keeps me coming back,,one hopes that philisophy never changes.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • maandjojo
    maandjojo Posts: 293
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If a company doesn't change to meet the demands of today they will cease to exist. Within two years I went from Sda's to Lsi's back to the Sda's. Loved the Sda 1As but felt I was ready for the newer tech of the Lsis'. Purchased the Lsi 25s' with the accompany of center and surrounds. I really enjoyed them at first, especially for movies but missed the 2 channel sound of the Sdas'. So went on a journey and now have the Sda 1.2TLs' and am loving it.
    I think that brings us back to our ears. Whatever sounds best to you is where you are going to end up.
    As for Polk, I still believe they are one of the best audio companies out there. There main purpose has still endured. High quality at affordable prices.

Joe
    Joe
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You are dead wrong.

The great thing about being wrong is learning from it. I am always willing.

Halen
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited November 2009
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »

Halen
    Actually many of us still own them and many more are looking for them. There are many reasons why people choose to get rid of the larger SDA's one of the main reasons is size WAF plays into this in a lot of cases not all but certainly a good percentage of women simply prefer a smaller slimmer speaker in what they consider their territory, how a speaker sounds is not important to them but how it blends in with the rest of the furnishings is.

As these get older the crossovers need to have parts replaced it is no different then other electronics amps preamps etc, but if you were to listen to a set of SDA SRS series speakers with well maintained and or upgraded crossovers you would IMHO be hard pressed to find many others for the same amount of money that sound as good newer or older.

I had a pair of Paradigm studio 100 reference series ll speakers as mains before I bought my SDA's which certainly is newer technology, to my ears the SDA's simply had a more pleasing natural sound even though the Paradigms were no slouch, Are they going to be as good as your Diamond series B&W's? probally not but they dont cost as much either.

I remember the first time I heard a pair of AR3's I thought wow these sound pretty damn good for old speakers :D

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Kim wrote: »
    Resurrect the older Monitor 5 Jr without the passive radiator,
    and bring back the RTA 12C. Man I wish I kept those speakers…
    The 80's was a fun time.

Come on Kim your not that old :)
    Thanks for the efficiency on the SRSII's - 92db I was able to fix the buzz problem by changing around power cords and the outlets to my system.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Honestly, I don't find much in the current lineup to get excited about. Other than the LSi series, I have zero interest in the present day offerings. I consider the last SDA offerings & the RTA15TL to be the last of the truly great Polk speakers.

-Dave
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Polk makes good products and always has. I agree with an earlier poster that they make great beginning HIFI products, and Polk is the company that got me into this crazy game. I still love the value that classic Polk speakers offer and suggest them to anyone I run across as a beginning audiophile is not going to do better than a pair of Monitor 5s for $100. Like all things however, some peoples tastes change depending on age and income (I doubt most people would buy their first car again, even thought at the time they loved it). I do think that new technology has a lot to offer and Polk has done a great job keeping up with the changing audio times. Plus, prices have come down so much that you can get a new pair of speakers with amazing performance for a fraction of what it would have cost 20 years ago; Polk or otherwise.

My biggest thing is that my tastes have changed. As much as I like SDA speakers, I have started to prefer a more neutral sound, and I think that a lot of newer speakers have sharper detail than the classics. I'm not a bass head (don't need the 15" PR) and have found a lot of enjoyment out of well engineered two driver, two way designs lately. I will always continue to sample Polk's new offerings and if they stick in my ears, I'll take them home.