Pioneer Discontinuing Premier Line

bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited November 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Very interesting, even though I hate pioneer this was a shock.

http://www.12voltnews.com/?p=8236
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900
Post edited by bigaudiofanatic on

Comments

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited November 2009
    I didn't think there was enough of a difference. There were too many "twins" within their product line which had little separation.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2009
    Guys,

As a product the p-880 is a good hu.

1. Clean signal - With the internal amp turned off and the gains on my amp at resonable levels, the sound is distortion free till 60/63.

2. It hits rated voltage at around 58/62

3. Tons of tuning features,

4. Sounds good with the polk speakers. :)

When Pio got into the top end segment with the prs line, they should have known they were up against the big boys, alpine and eclipse. Both brands offer good products, enjoy a solid reputation, have loyal customers and channel partners.

When a company is trying to break into such a segment, it needs to have three things.
    1. Good products - Simmilar level products for a bit less $$.

2. Deep Pockets - Ability to sustain losses. Ability to cover for mkt fluctuations, cost of constant innovation and sustained marketing and product promotion etc.

3. Patience - It will take 10 yrs to build a mkt share that can sustain the operation in this segment.

The prs line was a decent start vis a vis the product. It seem's pio chickened out on the other two issues.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2009
    Ya right, I use to have that unit. After the picto fuse blew I had noise like a muther. It was not installer error either, after grounding the rcas it got A LITTLE better. Than the cd's stopped eject all the way and so on and so on. I farted around with pioneers crappy line for 5 years never had any luck with them. Than I found alpine man what a well built product. If i want the best I look no further than alpines 9886 and 9887. There F1 line was awesome and they are talking about bringing it back!
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2009
    Im an Alpine man myself but I still have mucho respect for Pioneer and especially their Premier line. Ive used several of their products over the years in amps and head units. Sorry to see them go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CH2500
    CH2500 Posts: 7
    edited November 2009
    I wanted to chime in. I agree with unrealii that there were too many twins in their product line. However, the US is a lousy market for high end car audio equipment. It just doesn't sell very well here.

Arun1963, Pioneer is one of the largest electronics manufacturers. They are bigger than Alpine and definitely Eclipse. As far as market share its Alpine and Pioneer with Eclipse being a smaller player.

Also the Premier and PRS lineup is not Pioneer's attempt to break into high audio. Those product lines are Pioneer's middle line equipment. The real high end for Pioneer is their Carrozzerria lineup. It is only available in Japan and Europe and is easily on par with Alpine F#1 (which Alpine discontinued and no longer offers support for). Do a search on Pioneer Europe and check out some of their offerings.

Pioneer is not getting out of the high end audio, they are just leaving our poor market. For proof, check out the new Pioneer Carrozzerria DEH-P01 headunit that was just released. It offers 4-way processing (tweets, midrange, midbass, sub) and 4 - 24bit DACs into a single din unit. It also bypasses the internal dac of the Ipod to use its own DACs for improved sound quality from your ipod. Just an example, we don't know because they don't offer them their top end to the US market.

I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions in this thread. I'm not a fanboy as I use several different brands in both my vehicle and home. I run the ScanSpeak Illuminator tweets with the Pioneer TS-S101PRS 4" midrange and the mids from th Ts-C720PRS set. The PRS lineup is a solid performer with excellent engineering (check out the Klippel testing on them). I also use the Pioneer P9 combo and have had no issues.

The setup doesn't sound as good as my home stereo Polk's, but it is car audio after all. If you really want high end car audio, you really should look into what the rest of the world plays with too.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited November 2009
    I know a bit about pioneer and I am not crticizing the products. I'm only questioning the business strategy of getting into the premium segment and then chickening out.

I run the p-80rs which is the asia/oceanic model number for the p-880 and absolutely love it. A tweakers wet dream, with good sound to boot. Great vfm at its price. Ok, so the top end is the dex/deq series. Consider two facts.

1. While pio may have a similar mkt share to alpine, fact is that apline would sell more high end units than pio in the US. The prs and deq series was pio's attempt to capture a greater share of this segment.

2. There are two types of people who buy these units. The audioheads (for the lack of a better term) like us and the flashers. (No I don't mean THAT type of flasher, rather a person who buys a product to make a statement). In the real world, the second type outnumbers the first by 10:1. Prob more. This is the customer all the brands are after. We are only relevant for validating the product. :)

Of the two types of buyers, its easier to convert the audiohead, if you have a great product. Converting the flasher type takes time. Thats why I feel pio chickened out. There is no issue with the prs product line. I think I mentioned that in this thread and the other one.

Frankly I think this topic has been beaten to death. :)
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited November 2009
    Very interesting
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited November 2009
    Bernal wrote: »
    Very interesting

Bernal, what are you doing?? :confused:
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited November 2009
    jimmydep wrote: »

Jimmy, what r u doing??? :eek:
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2009
    jimmydep wrote: »
    Jimmy, what r u doing??? :eek:

cadenceclipse, what are you doing:rolleyes:
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited November 2009
    ur mom;)
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3