in walls

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited April 2003 in Speakers
i have a queston about in walls for my parents for the front 3 and the suround in the celing. any advice is apreashated.
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Measure twice, cut once.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    Options
    The funny thing about getting an answer to a question is... you need to ask a question first! :)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2003
    Options
    i guess that is the case. heres a queston is the inwalls worth the price? i can get a good set of bookshelf for about the same and i have herd that they dont immage as good. they want to get a plasma tv and dont want to see the speakers. they are not as into the whole ht as i am. they usaly just watch tv.

do you recomend the round inwalls for the celing?
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    i guess that is the case. heres a queston is the inwalls worth the price? i can get a good set of bookshelf for about the same and i have herd that they dont immage as good. they want to get a plasma tv and dont want to see the speakers. they are not as into the whole ht as i am. they usaly just watch tv.

do you recomend the round inwalls for the celing?

Yes they are worth the price. People select inwalls because they don't want a floorstanding or bookshelf type speaker. The polk rounds sound worse than their rectangulars. So go rectangular if you can. Paradigm has a nice line of inwalls that I think sound a little better than the Polks.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Inwalls should be used when they absolutely have to be. Otherwise a similarly priced bookshelf would be much better. Bookshelves have a few advantages over inwalls:
    1) Flexible location options - put them on stands and they can go anywhere
    2) Better placement options - speakers sound better a little bit away from the walls
    3) Enclosures - ports, boxes, all that good stuff to make your bass sound deeper and cleaner and your highs clearer
    4) Wiring - you need (by law) special wire to go through the walls
    5) Plug n play - might not be that simple, but with inwalls you have to put holes in your walls and run the wire through the walls, once you get them in, you have to patch up any holes you made if you want to move them

Inwalls do have one advantage though, invisibilty. Most women, some men, and a lot of rich people like the "Wow, wheres all that sound coming from? I can't see the speakers!" kind of feeling.

You could use round speakers in the wall, but it will make your room look like a submarine. You could also put the square variety in the ceiling, but that would be equally as weird. The round ones are meant to look like light fixtures I think.