RP82 and DVD-audio

Options
weiser
weiser Posts: 55
edited April 2003 in Electronics
I have spent the last couple of days familiarizing myself with my most recent find, the elusive Panasonic RP82, and have a couple of questions I hope can be answered here!
As I understand it the unit has no bass management for DVD-A. This I am not too worried about as I will just run separate subs for rears, center, and mains. The setting for listening to DVD-A thru DD or DTS, however, I am a little unclear. The multi-speaker setup menu allows for adjustment of size, delay etc. as it pertains to DD and DTS on DVD-Audio discs but if my Marantz receiver is already calibrated for reference levels should I just leave this menu alone?
I am trying to understand the purpose of having this menu and the only thing I can think of is if you have an older DD ready receiver with no DD or DTS decoders onboard and are looking to add this player to provide both decoders and a setup menu. Am I on the right track here or?
Also, are all DVD-Audio discs capable of playing 2 ch. music regardless if they include DTS, DD, and Hi-Res. surround? The reason I am asking is I would like to be able to listen to these discs in Hi-Res. 2 channel as opposed to Hi-Res. surround. ( I'm sorry I like my 2 channel experience once in awhile! )
Also, what is the preferred method of listening to regular cd's. Is it better to listen thru the DVD-Audio outputs and 7 ch. input on receiver or thru the digital co-ax. from player to receiver using the receivers dvd input?
Thanks!
JVC AV48WP30 Widescreen TV
Marantz SR6200 Receiver
Panasonic RP-82 DVD
Sony SAT-A50 DSS DD Receiver
Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp 1
Tara Labs-Axiom Interconnects
Tara Labs Digital 75 Co-axial
Kinima HiG2 Mains
Polk CS400i Main Center
Kinima KC2 Rear Center
Polk FX300i Rears