Dragon age origins is almost here.

Options
fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
edited January 2010 in Video Games
I dont buy a-lot of games anymore but I just have to get this one.And I must have the collectors edition because you get a few cool bonus items.And its a bioware game so its gotta be good.Hope its as good as oblivian.
And if you download the character creation tool not only can you use him/her in the game once it comes out you can also put your character in there forum and get another cool bonus( lucky ring.)

Anyone pre order this yet?
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
Post edited by fbm211 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Yes, been a Bioware fan for years, way back from the Baulders Gate series...

I have it pre-ordered through Gamestop, for the 360. I'm not seeing any collectors editions on there though on any of the platforms. The only collectors edition I see offered is the strategy guide:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75601

fbm211 wrote: »
    I dont buy a-lot of games anymore but I just have to get this one.And I must have the collectors edition because you get a few cool bonus items.And its a bioware game so its gotta be good.Hope its as good as oblivian.
    And if you download the character creation tool not only can you use him/her in the game once it comes out you can also put your character in there forum and get another cool bonus( lucky ring.)

Anyone pre order this yet?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Bass_Pedal
    Bass_Pedal Posts: 196
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I tried to pre-order a copy of the collectors edition at a local EB but I was told that it was sold out!! I think I will hit a few big box stores on Tuesday to see if I can snag a copy that may be laying around. I'm very excited about this game as well. I would not expect it to be like Oblivion, more like an graphically updated version of Baulders Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2. A Party based, tactical battle game with a rich story and plenty of scripted events. I love the fact that it is based on an entirely new fantasy world with it's own rule set. D&D is all well and good, but once you get passed level 20 or so, it gets out of hand. Anyway, I hope this game lives up to the hype. And lets hope there aren't too many bugs on the release version. :)
    Mains - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Amplification - Bryston 3b cubed
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Stream - Cambridge Audio CXN v2
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
    TT - Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 w/ Ortofon 2M Black Cartidge
    Phono Stage - Project Tube box DS
  • fbm211
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Lorthos wrote: »
    Yes, been a Bioware fan for years, way back from the Baulders Gate series...

I have it pre-ordered through Gamestop, for the 360. I'm not seeing any collectors editions on there though on any of the platforms. The only collectors edition I see offered is the strategy guide:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75601

I see the EA store has it for preorder.(collectors edition)
    Link>>http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/ThemeID.718200&categoryID=27986100&childCategoryID=27986100

Does bill get that extra 10 bucks or something? Can you even get all the cool bonus items on the console versions?
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited November 2009
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    I see the EA store has it for preorder.(collectors edition)
    Link>>http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/ThemeID.718200&categoryID=27986100&childCategoryID=27986100

Does bill get that extra 10 bucks or something? Can you even get all the cool bonus items on the console versions?

Hello

Yes I found that the other day and have it pre-ordered. Yes all the bonus items are on the 360 also. They come as redeemable codes that you enter in and your good to go...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well, my copy will be here tomorrow morning....hmmm might have to call in sick:) Oh wait I'm the boss.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hello

Have any of you played this yet? I tried it a little last night, not very impressed with the graphics on it. Yes I know...Its not all about the graphics but you would think it would look a little better then this. Not the character so much as the back grounds....

Could be why theres only one disc.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Bass_Pedal
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The PC version is sharper and has better lighting than the console versions, especially the 360 version which is the weakest of the three. To be honest, I wouldn't have even have considered getting it for a console, this type of game is designed for the PC, which is why you can't even zoom out into isometric view to get a good view of the battle on the consoles as you can on the PC. I have only played it for a few minutes so far. There is no doubt that the graphics are dated. Not too surprising for a game that has been in development for years.
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I was happy to hear the PS3 has sharp textures. For me its a debate of whether or not my wife will play it in the living room with me or not. so, probably will go with PS3 over PC. The atmosphere/story will be the same. I've played all the Baldur's gates and the isometric view is fine, but I really don't mind being limited to a Kotor style environment.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2009
    Options
    This game is a pleasant surprise for me. Had no idea what it would be like. I like it much better than Mass Effect so far, and that was a very good game. Probably will end up buying it once I am done with Borderlands and COD6. I agree the graphics are disappointing, but not terrible.
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Got my PC version today. So far the graphics seem decent to me. Should be a lot of fun.
  • fbm211
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I picked up the collectors edition at bestbuy today and like it.Cant use those special bonus items till later into the game but thats alright.(Well at least not the blood dragon armor.) I have not downloaded shale yet or the three exclusive collectors edition items.That book might work right away though.
    As far as the graphics go, there okay but could have been better.Oblivian is a much older game and still blows it away....
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have been having a great time playing this game. Graphics are good but not great. The gameplay and story are terrific. I find the different specialties very easy to use. I suspect I will play it to the end as this character and maybe again with another character before trading it back in. Once I get Modern 2 I probably won't want to play this one anymore. All in all a top flight game in my opinion. If you like D&D style games then I suspect you will like this. Caution, your bad decisions may come back on you later in the game.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • speakergeek
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well, after a couple of days of game play, I am quite impressed with this one. Great story and action. I see why it got editor's choice and a 9.5/10 at Gamespot.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Is this game more of a hack n slash RPG (Diablo) or a turn-based RPG?
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Very much like Diablo, without the click-frenzy per mob faced.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • ryanjoachim
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I found my first quest that I have to pay for...made me sad.
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

• Shizelbs
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • ryanjoachim
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeah, when I went to access it it made me register for an online account and then said I had to add more "points" to my account in order to download the content for that quest.
    My System:

• Shizelbs
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • Bass_Pedal
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It's all about creating new revenue streams via DLC (down-loadable content) It's all the rage on the consoles. I prefer fully featured expansion packs that come on a disk, rather than paying for a download. It is and will remain a reality of the industry going forward. I won't be paying for any DLC. At some point I'm sure they package a bunch of them up and sell them off as an expansion anyway.
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
  • speakergeek
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeah, when I went to access it it made me register for an online account and then said I had to add more "points" to my account in order to download the content for that quest.

It "made" you register?? I think not...:)
  • ryanjoachim
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It "made" you register?? I think not...:)

You got me.
    My System:

• hockeyboy
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have to suspect that you would want an XBOX Live account anyway if you weren't signed up. Live is a great value as long as you pick and choose what you pay for. Unfortunately Dragon Age is only single player so the only value you get is the ability to add on quests as they occasionally arrive.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Panamax M5300EX
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2009
    Options
  • hockeyboy
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I just finished as the City Elf this afternoon. I failed to kill either of the big dragons in the story arc because I didn't realize that you are unable to go back into the world after killing the arch demon. I did slay the final demon (used a sword and elf army) and plan to play again using a different story arc, making different choices this time. What a great game!
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Panamax M5300EX
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2009
    Options
    How many hours of gameplay are you guys getting out of this one? Thought about picking it up.
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    How many hours of gameplay are you guys getting out of this one? Thought about picking it up.

I'm around 60 hrs and I'm almost to the final battle. This is without doing all the side quests. I've done a lot of them but my quest journal still has some that I don't think I will complete. Would you get it for PC or console? A friend bought it first for the 360 then traded it in and got the PC version. He likes it much better now with the controls and different viewpoint options.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I like it well on a console -- mostly because its in the living room and has the good surround sound. Also I'm on a PS3 which is apparently the better console version.

However I really like spending hours setting up perfect tactics and playing the game like Final Fantasy XII... having a perfectly crafted algorithm taking on the darkspawn. Or you can play it like KOTOR.

If you want a Baldur's Gate experience by all means you should get it for PC. Just go with your gut... but its certainly still an awesome experience on the console. Its not like Supreme Commander or Red Alert 3.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Spehoks09
    Spehoks09 Posts: 10
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The new game from Bioware KOTOR, Mass Effect, have shown that they can pump out a single type of game, but still manage to improve on them.

If you liked KOTOR or Mass Effect, then I am sure you will enjoy Dragon Age, it is one of the few games I have found recently where if you do something you know is dangerous or wrong.. chances are you will die.

It punishes players for not Role Playing their character, as far as I can tell.. which is rather rare if games now days.
  • jparker82
    jparker82 Posts: 54
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Is it a better game than LOTR online? Or about the same?
    Onkyo Tx Nr 5007
    Integra NAS 2.3 audio serv
    Intergra DHS 8.8 HD-DVD
    Integra NVS 7.7 Home Theater Media Compt
    Anthem MCA 20
    Integra 70.1 9 channel amp
    OPPO 93 BLU RAY
    Monster HDP-2400 power cond
    Panamax M5300 PM
    Monster HtS-2600 Power cond
    Samsung 8000 series e64 plasma
    Polk LSI 25
    Polk LSI center
    Polk LSI 9
    Polk LSI 7
    Polk LSIM702 fx
    Boston Acoustic in ceil #'s ???
    Definitive tech sub
    Nordost Blue Heaven Rev2 BI wire(great cords)
    2 other systems master and pool area