2»

Comments

• sk1939
    sk1939 Posts: 295
    edited January 2010
    Options
    TruTech wrote: »
    Thanks Fongolio,

You did say that you could not speak for me here, although I think you may have expressed my feelings well.

When I first found this site in my search one evening, I was excited to see that you had reviewed something that I had created and were truly enjoying the experience.

It is a great feeling to create something that gives someone else a sense of enjoyment and a willingness to tell others about their experience. You are correct that I am not trying to sell anything here....merely to share with others who express an interest.

I made an assumtion that this site was for enthusiasts of audio, so I find it hard to to believe that someone would make a remark like this without reading some of the previous posts to get a sense of the conversation string.

I thought this might be a fun site, but having a re-think now.....

Don't take it too hard, there are the occasional flare ups, but we're for the most part a pretty easy going bunch. Just don't go bring up things like cables and ABX testing.
    Home:
    Onkyo TX-6500MKII/Polk LSI 9's (A)Polk TSi 100(B)/Polk PSW 10/Onkyo C-S5VL/Technics SL-QD33
    Home 2 (Playback):
    Dynaudio BM5A MKII/Dynaudio SUB 250MC/Audigy 2 ZS
    College:
    JBL LSR 2325P/JBL 2310SP/MOTU UltraLite MKIII
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It reads the way it reads. I'm pretty sure its an open forum and we don't have to dry hump one another every day.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well afterall, if you can actually hear the fingers and the guitar strings gotta be worthy of some sort of seminal release........................

RT1
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2010
    Options
    For those that are actually interested (ignoring the last two posts) I listened to the newly modded version this weekend. Ron had a version identical to mine and the new one which basically eliminates the ss output completely. Op amps are gone and the tubes now provide the output gain.

I was already completely impressed with his work on my cd player but with this revision it's truly everything he says it is. We a/b'ed the players using Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room cd. I really liked the sound of the Rotel with the original mod when we played the same song selections on the new revision the difference was like a veil being lifted. Piano never sounded so natural to me. And the double bass sounded just like being in the room. Vocals were clean and clear with no etching at all. I was blown away at how eliminating the op amps in the output stage just totally opened up the sound.

Anyway, I took my player with me and left it with Ron to do the revision. I'll get it back Wednesday and after a week or two will post my impressions. I'll take some photos of the newly revised inards for anyone interested. Anyone who is familiar with E.A.R. gear will understand what an amazing sounding cdp they make. This player sounds every bit as refined. The E.A.R. also has tube output stage. Biggest difference is the $6000 usd pricetag on the E.A.R.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • TempTest
    TempTest Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Did this thread end on 1-11-2010 ?
  • Fongolio
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I own the fully modded unit still. Sounds fantastic. He has a clock mod that makes it world class that I'm considering as well. About $200 more gets me that. But even without it is a fine sounding piece of kit. And yes the last post was in 2010.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I own the fully modded unit still. Sounds fantastic. He has a clock mod that makes it world class that I'm considering as well. About $200 more gets me that. But even without it is a fine sounding piece of kit. And yes the last post was in 2010.

I'm just getting my old system set back up and I have an RCD-855 that doesn't work. I hit the power button, the lights come on for a split-second, then nada.

I'm considering getting it repaired, and having seen this thread am now considering the tube mod detailed herein.

Are you still in touch with this tech?

Do you have any 411?

Thanks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Fongolio
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yes I still am in touch with him now and then. He has also done a clock mod to the unit that makes it sound even better. I'll try to get an emai addy for you in the next day or two. I don't even have it right now. Just telephone number. He's still building and selling units like this so I think your chances are good. Where do you live? We are in British Columbia.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    The Clamp
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I'm in Illinois, so shipping to BC might be an issue, but would be interested in exchanging e-mails with him.

Thanks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • spl779
    spl779 Posts: 15
    Options
    Are you still in touch with the tech? Just curious since I am im BC.

• AsaGong
    AsaGong Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi...I worked a lot with these machines, easy to mod and fairly good sound achievable. Will try BB PCM56 with glue logic for I2S conversion in NON-OS in time. With schematic to adjust LSB of course, and AD844 or maybe 6922 tubed output stage.
  • shawnwes
    Options
    I have one of Ron's ver1 mods (looks like the pic that were posted previously). Does anyone have his contact info as I'm interested in having him do the full monty on it if he's still offering mods. Thanks.
  • shawnwes
    Options
    Update: A little internet searching and unfortunately it appears Ron passed away in 2014.