Any advise would be GREAT!!!!!

boominnjoe
boominnjoe Posts: 9
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I own a pair of GXR 12's, and i am looking for the best amp to run them with. Right now i have a wal-mart jensen 400 watt. it doesnt sound bad but i am sure they have better potential. i would like to stay moderately priced, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, so bring it on. BTW....i later plan to purchased another pair so if there is other possiblities i would appreciate the input.
Post edited by boominnjoe on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited March 2003
    Try looking at Ebay. I got a RockFord BD500 $500 mono bass amp for $274 with shipping. Not used, BRAND NEW!! Try looking at RockFord Punch 700s. The box says 175 watts (If I remember correctly) Like MTX, They exceed their specs. My BD500 makes 674 watts rms, My Power 550x makes 724 watts. Running all 4 speakers as a 2 ohm stereo load will double the power. So the 700s will make at least 350 watts per channel. More than enough for what you want. I cant remember if its a 700s or 701s. One of the two.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    300 x 1 at 2 ohms is what yee be hunting for -- try a JBL 300.1 its between 100 and 130 bucks on ebay right now.

if u do another 2 GXR's u'd want like 600 x 1 at 1 ohm... that'd be like a JBL BP600.1 -- that'd run you like 175 on ebay... which is good cuz its way cheaper than two 300.1's, but the problem is it does the same power into 1 or 2 ohms -- so if u only hooked the two on it now you'd be getting 300 to each which is not good... u'd have to dial the gain back to the floor.

those are the cheapest mono subs amps i know of that i'd use.

USacoustics used to make some but i think they stopped, i have only seen their two channel amps now a days.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • boominnjoe
    boominnjoe Posts: 9
    edited March 2003
    thanx to you both for the info. it helps alot, but i have a question. the pioneer gm-x972 is an 800 watt mono amp that i have had my eye on. how in your opinion would that work?....if you need the info on it you can find it on the crutchfield website. it sells for $179.99.
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited March 2003
    PBD, He was talking about the possibility of having 4 GXR's. Thats why I mentioned the RF 700s.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    pio that u're talking about is 400 + x 1 bridged at 4 ohms... you run for two gxr's 4 ohm that's only like 150 x 2 at 4 ohms

for 4 of them its like 100 each in the bridge if u wire them properly.

i dunno if i'd do that -- rather have more juice. buit that is a good amp... i'm partial to it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge