System help

justinacase
justinacase Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan and going to create a fiberglass ported box for 3 speakers. My plan is to face the speakers towards the back of the car. I want to run the ports through the back seat to where the arm rest comes down.

So essentially my ports will run in to the cabin of the car... where I want the bass to be felt and heard, instead of the trunk. Does anyone know if running the ports through the back seat will make it sound terrible???
Post edited by justinacase on

Comments

• tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited October 2009
    hi justina, i think that placing the port on the oposite wall from the speaker can lower output. pls cross reference and model in a subwoofer design program such as bass box pro.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    i normally suck at this end (diy, install), yet quite sure that port dimensions are in inches not 4-5 feet. For a minute, lets forget about what a 4ft port would sound like :)

Port length depends on three factors. Port diameter, box volume and frequency to which you want to tune the box. Check out the link below.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

For what you want, your box size would have to be less than 0.1cuft. Would be tough to fit a sub in that box and ure running 2 subs. The sub facing backwards is the right way.

If you want the sub bass upfront, you need time alignment. Run a sealed box and get a hu with TA.
  • justinacase
    edited October 2009
    I would agree that 4 foot ports would be rather odd.... I want the back of the box to be flush with the back seats so that the ports would only be a normal length. Just would hate to cut the back seat if it ended up sounding crappy..:(
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited October 2009
    venting tru the upper deck (possibly via the stock rear deck speaker locations) would be more feasible. one port is enuff.. it does not need to be symetrical. sub bass is non-directional.

that config is easier to do. a port extending out the box saves space inside the box, thus giving u more internal volume to play with. 3 subs are plenty. u sure u need all that bass?
  • justinacase
    edited October 2009
    Well I all ready have the speakers and amps so the more the merrier. I just want to open my mouth and have the base breath for me by moving my lungs
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited October 2009
    well actually less is best.. unles ur goin 4 pure spl..
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3