Fit like a glove, sound like silk...

xj4094dg
xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I finally got around to installing some db series in my Jag today. I don't have any pics because you can't tell they are there. They fit nicely in the factory door locations behind the factory grills. I prefer this as it keeps the rif-raff from busting my windows.

Crutchfield warned me that neither set would fit in my vehicle. I used their on-line fit guide first, then called and both indicated they would not fit. I had already pulled the door panels apart and measured/thought they would and I was right.

I went with db5251 components ($79.99 from Polk using $100.00 in Polk Bucks) in the rear and db651's (49.99 on sale at Crutchfield) in the front (I didn't want to tear my dash apart to install components in the front.)

I am keeping the stock head unit and will be installing a four channel Alpine amp ($65.00 from ebay) in a couple of weeks.

The sound is way better than the factory Harmon Kardon system the car came with. I can't wait to hear it with the amp and after they have some hours on them.

Very happy with the sound and the low cost. Not sure about a sub yet, space is limited and my gas tank is in between my back seat and the trunk.

Any ideas on a sub?

Cheers!
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Post edited by xj4094dg on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited October 2009
    Congrats on your dbs! I wished I registered my products for polk, but alas, I'm too lazy to take the speakers out to put down the serial numbers (good bye polk bucks :( ).

You can mount a sub basically anywhere, even in your center console. You just need to find a reputable shop that can do custom boxes that will fit your car specs. But how about putting the sub on your back seat?
  • xj4094dg
    edited October 2009
    chu wrote: »
    Congrats on your dbs! I wished I registered my products for polk, but alas, I'm too lazy to take the speakers out to put down the serial numbers (good bye polk bucks :( ).

You can mount a sub basically anywhere, even in your center console. You just need to find a reputable shop that can do custom boxes that will fit your car specs. But how about putting the sub on your back seat?

Do you mean ON the seat where people sit? That's not possible in my world. There is absolutely no room under or behind the seats (front or rear). I'll hit an audio shop this week and see what they say...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    put your comps upfront and the 651 coax's at the back. Your installer will figure out a way to do this without pulling your dash apart. ounting the comp tweets on the a pillars is one option. A sub in a small stealth box will let you hear all 10 octaves.
  • xj4094dg
    edited October 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    put your comps upfront and the 651 coax's at the back. Your installer will figure out a way to do this without pulling your dash apart. ounting the comp tweets on the a pillars is one option. A sub in a small stealth box will let you hear all 10 octaves.

I'm trying to keep from making any new holes or mounting tweets in the open. I'm not sure if you know this car but its not very audio friendly. Ideally the comps would go in front, we'll see how hard/expensive it is.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    Most cars are not designed for audio reproduction. Some however are worse than others. I guess your jag and my ford, both fall in that category. :)

All I'm saying is that the comps should be mounted up front and that you should run a sub. The db series lacks a bit at the low end and a sub would fill that hole nicely. Let your installer figure out how......ofcourse as long as he does'nt break the bank doing it.
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited October 2009
    I am in the process of replacing the Alpine Sytem in my 06 Jag XKR Coupe.... What year is your XJ? I am replacing the front with the MM6501 and the rear sides with the MM651... I will receive them this Monday so I hope this makes a big diffrence from the Alpine. I am only worried about the Active Crossover setting that comes from the Factory Alpine Amp.....

Good Luck with your Build....

JAGS are the best.....I am looking at next year getting the XFR and hope the B&W system is much better then the Alpine it replaces...
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2009
    Try and make a truck sound good. Not a SUV.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing