Mercedes Set-up Help

Gwitz
Gwitz Posts: 1
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been reading thru the forums and could use some advice on my car stereo setup. I just got a 1999 Mercedes c230 with a factory non-Bose radio (no amp). Mercedes has non-standard speaker sizes. The car is equipped with .75-1"(some mm size?) dash tweeters, 6"(165mm?) speakers in front doors and rear deck and 4"(140mm?) rear door speakers(all 4ohm spkrs so 2ohm load at HU). I found adapters in Europe that will allow me to install 6.5" speakers in front doors and rear deck (I've ordered and waiting on delivery). There are also adapters available to allow 4" in rear doors but I need advice. I should have gone with components in the front but I'm trying to do this on the cheap so here's where I stand; I picked up two pair of db651's for $49 a pair at Brandsmarts for the front doors and rear deck. I found a db1240dvc for $54 with shipping thru Amazon. I am planning of replacing the HU and adding amp/s. I was thinking of db1001’s for the dash and db401’s for the rear doors to keep a 2ohm load? Is this to many speakers, a terrible idea/setup? Next, depending on speakers, what do you recommend for an amp? I am planning on a sealed box for sub located in trunk running coils in parallel for a 2ohm load. Same advice for amp, multiple, 5 channel, what do you think? Not sure about Crossovers, base blockers, capacitors and so forth. I would really appreciate any help/ advise that you could give me.
Thanks,
Gwitz :confused:
Post edited by Gwitz on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited October 2009
    Gwitz wrote: »
    The car is equipped with .75-1"(some mm size?) dash tweeters, 6"(165mm?) speakers in front doors and rear deck and 4"(140mm?) rear door speakers(all 4ohm spkrs so 2ohm load at HU).

I'm trying to do this on the cheap so here's where I stand:

1. I have two pair of db651's

2. I found a db1240dvc for $54 with shipping thru Amazon. I am planning of replacing the HU and adding amp/s.

3. I was thinking of db1001’s for the dash and db401’s for the rear doors to keep a 2ohm load? Is this to many speakers, a terrible idea/setup?

4. Next, depending on speakers, what do you recommend for an amp?

5. I am planning on a sealed box for sub located in trunk running coils in parallel for a 2ohm load. Same advice for amp, multiple, 5 channel, what do you think?

6. Not sure about Crossovers, base blockers, capacitors and so forth. I would really appreciate any help/ advise that you could give me.
    Thanks,
    Gwitz :confused:

Sorry, but I had to break down that paragraph as it was a bit hard for me to read.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    Tks chu!! Much better now. :)

3 pairs of speakers and a pair of tweeters. Way too much going on.

Yes you need components upfront not coax's. The db651 are polks entry level coax's. Plus, you want to go bargain basement. It's almost to the point where it does'nt matter what you do. You'd find it real tough to dial in any coherence in your sound.

A decent hu + front comps + 4ch amp(5ch if you want to push the envelope and bi-amp your comps) + sub. Thats all you need. You don't need the rears.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited October 2009
    If you are going to go with speakers from polk do not go cheap go with the mm series of if you can afford it the SR they are very nice and very smooth. Also make sure to have a amp to power them the MM series you can get away with using the head unit the SR's you can not. ^^ He is right you want components NOT coaxials in your front speakers that way you have a separate tweeter to mount were the stock one is. You could go with a 5 channel alpine amp to power everything or a JL 4 channel and bridge the rears for the sub. Also are you changing the head unit? If not you are going to need a JL clean sweep or a mtx re-q. Also if I were you I would omit rears all together and focous on the fronts but that is just me and how my sound quality mind works.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000