Need help with set-up.....

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 2006 Jaguar XKR with the 320Watt Alpine system that sounds like crap... I just ordered the MM6501 and MM651 to replace the Alpine (Paper Cone) Speakers.

Wiring details of the Car....
4 channels are sent to the Front with 2 channels covering the Dash & Tweets and 2 channels covering the mids on the lower doors giving 80watts a side up front....

2 of the channels are Actively crossed over in the factory amp supporting the highs and very little mid to the 3.5" on the dash and bridged into that is the Alpine Super Tweet with a Cap on the back filtering out the little midbass sent to that channel.

The other 2 channels are sent to the mids on the doors and are Activly crossed over from the amp filtering out the highs.....

The back 2 channels are sent to Alpine 6.5" Coax ( not sure if crossed over or not)

Two channels are sent to a "9 Free Air DVC sub in the deck... Any sugestions for replacement???? It gets 80 Watts....

My plan is to run the MM Mid directly to the Mid wires in the doors and running the tweet through the supplied crossover to the Dash lines and unpluging the Alpine tweet freeing power to the tweets since they are pulling of the dash 3.5" leads.

How does this sound??? Tweets Locations?????

THANKS"
GUYS!!!!!!
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2009
    Yikes! Way too many speakers. If youre just going to use the MM6501 up front and the 651 in the back doors thats ok. Id bypass the factory amp as well. Not only is it actively crossed over but its also equalized to make those crappy OEM speakers sound like they make more bass.

Tweeters usually work best up high like A pillars or up front in the dash.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Macleod,
    I will only be using the MM6051 and MM651 plus the factory sub for now....

The Factory head is not powered and the signal is run via fiber optic to the factory Alpine amp....

I was told that the factory Alpine amp has little to no EQing but this was from a Jaguar Forum so take it for what it is worth....

I am wanting to start small then when I get more time this winter add like the Audio Control DQL8 with an Amp...

Behind the Mids is the foam baffle protecting the rear of the speaker. Should I cut this out or leave it?

The factory midbass does not sound that bad it is more the highs that sound really crappy and I am in hopes that the MM Tweets will fix this....
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel