Polk Speakers: Camry rear deck?

Polk.Alum
Polk.Alum Posts: 3
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi All,

I would appreciate a recommendation. Which model Polk Audio speakers are best suited for the rear deck of a 1998 Camry LE? I see Polk has eight model speakers to choose from for this specific application.

We would like new speakers that offer a significant sound quality improvement over the original Toyota speakers and that will withstand the test of time in a sunny rear deck location. Ideally, the greatest sound quality improvement for the cost.

Lastly, per the Polk Fit Guide:
Requires aftermarket bracket or accessory for this fit (not included).
Which brand/model aftermarket speaker adapter is needed for our car and the recommended Polk Audio speaker?

Thanks!
Post edited by Polk.Alum on

Comments

• xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited October 2009
    Go to Crutchfield.com and use their fit guide to get some ideas.

Welcome to Club Polk.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • Polk.Alum
    edited October 2009
    Hi xj4094dg,

I checked out Crutchfield.com and searched highest rated Polk Audio speakers for the rear deck of our car. Results:

1.) 29 customers rated the Polk db6501 ($200.) an average of 5 out of 5 stars.
    Two of the 29 Polk db6501 customer reviews specifically mentioned the Camry:
    Best components the price.
    Written By Reese, Houston, TX on Sunday, September 27, 2009

Replaced Infinity reference components in 2005 Camry, what an improvement. The infinitys are ok, but there's something to be said for a silk dome that Polk has that Infinity does not. This is my third set (bought Polk before for wife's Mazda Tribute) and by far for the money these are leaps above the factory speakers and the Infinity reference series.

As for the setup, I have them running off of 4 channel 50 rms Rockford fosgate amp with an Alpine MRP-450 running my MTX dual 12s (paralleled) in a sealed enclosure. Combined this creates a rich sound without the holes that many other systems have on the road. I like to hear the mid range tones and natural highs with comparable bass to make every song sound as it should, regardless if it's rock, rap, or top 40.

Also, Crutchfield provided everything to make the install very easy.
    Great Sound for the Budget Conscious
    Written By Douglas, Bloomington, IL on Friday, August 29, 2008

The bass response is tight without being muddy. The tweeters are bright, but not piercing or scratchy, and are easily dialed down with the crossover switch (-3db, 0dB, or +3dB). I have them loaded in the front of my 93' Camry sedan, and I'm happy with the purchase. Even without an amp or an impressive deck, I'm pleased with the clarity of the sound reproduction, and likewise I am not disappointed with the accuracy of the bass at higher volumes. For the budget conscious, these are a perfect addition to a starting a modest, reference system.

db6501s will not reproduce the boom or thump one would expect from a sub, but the 6.5" woofers adequately punch lower frequencies (~150hz to 200hz), accentuating the beats of hip-hop, electronic, and
    rock. The woofers also add a rich organic/ analogue depth to more stripped down acoustic sessions. However, these woofers are midrange speakers, and are not meant to replace or occupy the sound-space of subs (<=200hz).

As I've stated, if you are budget conscious, and/or leery of starting off with a bulky, bass/amp package, these are a modest addition. However, I do recommend eventually complimenting these speakers with a tight 12" sub to round out the over bottom sound.

2.) 78 customers rated the Polk Audio db651s ($100.) an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. (None of these 78 reviews specifically mentioned the Camry.)

There were other 5 out of 5 star customer-rated Polk Audio speakers. However, they have a small number of reviews:
    1. MM6501 - $330, 4 reviews
    2. Audio Signature Reference SR5250 - $800, 4 reviews
    3. MM521 - $180, 3 reviews (out of stock)
    4. MM5251 - $330, 1 review
    Question:
    With component speakers such as the db6501, where are the tweeters typically mounted in rear deck applications?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    what is your budget? Do you have a ref point for 'great sound quality?'

If you want the best sound, you will have to run an amp and sub in addition to components. You really dont need rears.

The db's are polks entry level series. They would be a big jump over the stock camry speakers. Would they give you the greatest sq bump over your stocks? umm, No.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2009
    Also, typically components are used for front stage and the rear deck gets 6x9 or coax's.
  • Polk.Alum
    edited October 2009
    Hi arun1963,

We would like to replace the rear deck speakers as one of them has been damaged and no longer works.

We appreciate accuracy in speaker performance - ideally nothing added or taken away from the original recording.

We're not looking for high dB output as we have no desire for a hearing aide later in life. We're also not likely to add a sub to an 11-year old car.

"... a big jump over the stock camry speakers." is probably a good description.

Thanks
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2009
    Id get the 6x9 for the rear deck. No need to spend extra on a good tweeter as you wont really get much out of it in the rear deck. The added cone area would give you better low frequency response.

If youre wanting the best sound quality, I would recommend skipping the rear speakers and putting all your money in a quality set of components for the front like the MM6501.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D