The Oscars

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited March 2003 in Music & Movies
Perhaps some of it is that we're at war, perhaps some is that I hardly ever see movies in the theater, so I don't care too much about what is current - only what is currently available to rent. But I find myself greatly uninterested in the Oscars or the winners. I read through the list on Monday morning and .... yaaaaawn.. didn't care too much.

I'm sure we'll rent Chicago, and I've heard great things about it, but for a million bucks I couldn't tell you two details of its plot - well.. for a million bucks.. there is singing.. and there is dancing (do I get the money?). The other big winner is just that.. some other movie that won awards.. I can't even remember the name.. the Pianist?

Is this a more boring-than-usual year for the Oscars? Or is it just *me* not caring this year (not that I ever care much... but this year is extra not caring).

And Catherine Zeta-Jones... I've not seen her in many things.. what I'd read of her in the past was that she was pretty much a face with no acting ability... so.. she's gotten better I guess?
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I watched Below (again) instead of the weenie awards.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited March 2003
    Options
    To me the Oscars are people saying what I should like in a movie. There's way too many personal preferences and other factors in why I like movies (I'm in the mood for something gory, or funny, or whatever). It's like they're telling me what my favorite color should be.

All I know is The Two Towers is one of the best movies ever made. And that people make millions of $$ to act makes me want to puke.

/soapbox ;)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had heard that this years Oscar's were the lowest rated show since '74, as it should be since there ARE more important things going on in the world..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    I had heard that this years Oscar's were the lowest rated show since '74, as it should be since there ARE more important things going on in the world..........

I guess finally people pay as much attention to any of that crap as I do.

I really don't care! If I like a movie that is my opinion and I don't need them to tell me it was good. **** more often than not if the critics hate the movie I end up really enjoying it.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2003
    Options
    My two comments on this year's Oscar's:
    1) They are still much better than the Grammy's
    2) I am really ticked that Minority Report was not nominated for anything else. I love that movie.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The only thing I enjoyed about watching the Oscar's was seeing Chris Cooper win. I think he is one of the best actors around and it's about time he was recognized. And you could tell he was truly appreciative of winning the award when he broke up crying. To hell with most of the other self-congratulatory asses that took the stage that night. :)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Eff the Oscars, Eff the Dixie Chicks, Eff Saddam, and Eff the French and their Goddamn fries.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Where is my evil twin? BOMBED
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,823
    edited March 2003
    Options
    What's a Oscar???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I like the show. I enjoy seeing what I missed and voting for what I liked. Too bad Ice Age did not win but lets here it for the chub chubs.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Eff the Oscars, Eff the Dixie Chicks, Eff Saddam, and Eff the French and their Goddamn fries.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Where is my evil twin? BOMBED

How could I ever begin to disagree????

The Twin is on board!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Back to this French and Fries thing again? :rolleyes: ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    What's a Oscar???

Its 1 of those little fish that eat other fish. Much Fun!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The more you read/hear, the more obvious it is that the Oscars are just a Hollywood thing for Hollywood types, with the same built-in pettiness and **** as anywhere else. One "insider" story I read said that a primary reason Richard Gere didn't win was that the Oscar people didn't want to give him an opportunity for a public political rant - hardly focusing on the movie. Also, a lot of news about big celebs working to get certain people to win.

Plus... a few years ago when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture.. I mean, come on.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I just can't believe that a guy that left the country because he raped a female child in the **** won "Best Director"!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Director doesnt have much influence on the script. I like the oscar's, and more often then not if you read enough criticiques then the summary of the movie is pretty correct/agrees with my own opinion. You just have to use the reviews for what they are, a a 2 star action movie is still worse than a 3 star action movie, even if the 3 star action is as good as a 4 star drama.

BTW did anyone else think 'The Hunted' sucked and had no plot?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    The only thing I enjoyed about watching the Oscar's was seeing Chris Cooper win. I think he is one of the best actors around and it's about time he was recognized. And you could tell he was truly appreciative of winning the award when he broke up crying. To hell with most of the other self-congratulatory asses that took the stage that night. :)
    2nd this... One of the great modern day character actors that finally got his due...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD