Turntable connected via PC to reciever

Options
Bigworm
Bigworm Posts: 2
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I"ve already tried running my turntable through my reciever directly, sound quality is really poor and very quiet. I've asked around already, and what i already know is the low impedence out of the turntable does not mix properly with the high impedence inputs on my reciever. What i'm wondering is, does anyone know if i'd be able to just run my turntable to my PC's line-in then to my reciever??

I'd like to find a cheaper option then having to buy a pre-amp with phono inputs.

Thanks
Post edited by Bigworm on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Options
    http://www.audioreplay.net/indexg.html

$28 delivered is as good as I've seen. Crutchfield's Recoton is $50 and PE's is $70.

Cheaper yet... go to garage sales and find an old stereo receiver with a phono input... $10? $20?

I'm in the same boat.. I have a very nice turntable.. no room for it next to the Onkyo that *has* an input... and the new HT receiver doesn't have one.

I don't know why the PC input would be any better.. it would not have the proper RIAA equalization. The link at the top talks about connecting these to a PC sound card, so I don't think you are going to escape the need for some sort of preamp. Perhaps there is a software version...? or a specific preamp intended for PCs.
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I tried running a turntable to my PC's line-in. VERY bad sound. I think it "may" have been a grounding issue. Not sure. That's about my experience with the matter. The outputs didn't seem to have enough juice either.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • Bigworm
    Bigworm Posts: 2
    edited March 2003
    Options
    aight, thanks for the input. You saved me the trouble of having to go out and buy a set of cables to run my table down to my PC and test it for myself.

I wont even bother now :) guess i'll have to suffer til i can afford a preamp, thx again
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Options