Need help, no power to amp

chappy48
chappy48 Posts: 8
edited October 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all,

I just installed a new Polk SR 124 DVC sub in my car. Unfortunately the sub amp isn't getting power. It's a c500.1 momo sub amp. It used to be hooked up to two 12" orion subs, but they went to crap after some spirited driving and I took them out. I ran around for a couple months without any subs hooked up, with the wires from the sub amp just sitting there looking lonely. Don't know if that might be the cause of the problem, but I doubt it. Any help would be great. Oh and a couple months ago when I took the subs out the amp was still working and powering the subs. Thanks.
Post edited by chappy48 on

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited September 2009
    Did you check the inline fuse? Wires bumping together would blow the fuse.
  • chappy48
    edited September 2009
    I didn't do the original install, just swapped out the subs, so I don't know where it would be. On the power cable? Because the wires I was referring to were the sub out wires running to the subs from the amp. I just left them in the trunk hooked up to the amp with no sub attached. And I don't see any fuses on the wires I used to hook up to the sub in there now.

ps. I have a 4 channel amp hooked up to polk momo speakers in the rest of the car. Both amps are side by side, but only the 4 channel amp is getting power.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2009
    There should be a fuse under the hood on the power wire thats connected to the battery.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • chappy48
    edited September 2009
    Yup, I think I've seen that. I'll check tomorrow...it's late. This may be a stupid question, but would there be two separate power lines running, one for each amp and therefore two fuses? The line I've seen is all wrapped up and I didn't look at it closely to find out.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2009
    There could be 2 coming off the battery, or just one and splitting at a distribution block somewhere in the vehicle.
    -Cody
  • chappy48
    edited September 2009
    I wish I had a multi-meter. Well, it can't be the fuse if there's only one, because the other amp is working just fine. So, working my way back, check the fuse first. If that's good, check the distribution block, if installed. If that's good, check the input power to the amp itself. If that's good, the amps bad. At least that's how I see it.

This is so annoying. I was all excited to hear this new sub and now I have to go hunting down a power problem. Thanks for the help guys. If there's any more ideas, let me know.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2009
    Shops usually have pretty cheap diagnostic fees and can find a power issue within 30 minutes :)
    -Cody
  • chappy48
    edited October 2009
    That's what I'm gonna do. Did a quick visual check this morning. One in-line 60amp fuse off the battery. It's still good. Found the distribution block under the amp rack. Connections are good and tight, same with the connections into the amp itself. If I had some test equipment I could actually do the testing myself and figure out where I'm losing the power, but I'll just take it into a shop and have them figure it out. Thanks for all the help though :)
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2009
    Where are you located?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • chappy48
    edited October 2009
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2009
    Eh. Sorry. Was going to offer to go through it for you, but that's a bit of a drive. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • chappy48
    edited October 2009
    Haha, yeah, just a bit :) Thanks though.
  • chappy48
    edited October 2009
    Took it to Boomer Mcloud's here in Nashua NH. Let me just say that these guys are the best. There was a mix up in when I was supposed to show up (they had me coming in the day before) and they had a full plate and at first said they wouldn't have room to fit me in. 1 minute later the guy says, "Is the car here, let me see if I can find out what's wrong." The guy comes out to my car, takes two minutes and figures out my ground wires were ripped off the bolt attaching them to my car (can't believe I didn't see that) and fixes it. No charge...nothing. Completely free. Can't recommend these guys enough! Class act. You can bet I'll be going back when I get my Camaro to see what they can do to it :) Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Time for me to go out and enjoy my new polk sub haha.