Opinions on a GPS unit

jimmydep
jimmydep Posts: 1,305
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought my son a new car which he will be driving from NJ. to his Marine base in California. I'm looking at getting a Garmin 260W from Amazon for $150.

Does anyone have an opinion on this or other GPS units?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0011ULQNI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253555790&sr=8-8

Thanks

Jimmy D
Post edited by jimmydep on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2009
    I have a unit similar to it, 660, garmin gps are great however they can get a bit fussy at times when you know you should be staying on the 580 rather get off an exit ramp and then hop back on (this will happen randomly at times at various place, but very rarely). tts is a must for any gps!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2009
    I have a 780 and love the thing. I would make sure you verify which version of maps are loaded (2008 vs. 2009) since updates are about $60ish.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2009
    Had the 265 until my car was just broken into about a month or so ago and my gps was stolen. Loved it and everything about it, except the 'avoid traffic' feature which proved pointless in a city that knows nothing BUT traffic....and baseball. Sorry to knock on you guys but I miss CA. lol
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited September 2009
    My personal preference is GARMIN.

I own 6 different GPS units.

Customer Technical Service is also very good.
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2009
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Had the 265 until my car was just broken into about a month or so ago and my gps was stolen. Loved it and everything about it, except the 'avoid traffic' feature which proved pointless in a city that knows nothing BUT traffic....and baseball. Sorry to knock on you guys but I miss CA. lol

Freddy, the 260 doesn't have the traffic feature, but I was considering a unit that does have it. It sounds like it's just an annoyance, than a help.

Thanks

Jimmy
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2009
    jimmydep wrote: »
    Freddy, the 260 doesn't have the traffic feature, but I was considering a unit that does have it. It sounds like it's just an annoyance, than a help.

Thanks

Jimmy

Edit: As long as it's upgradeable, I'd say pick it up. I hated having the gps take me to locations that didn't even exist anymore. :rolleyes:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2009
    Our Costco (MD) has 2 Garmin units that seem to be priced below average for the features listed. You might check your local Costco to see what they're offering.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited September 2009
    I'm a big fan of Garmin GPS units. I just bought a 265WT for my brothers birthday last week.

I love it because its portable, very easy to use and has bluetooth so you can easily make and receive phone calls on the road.

I'd also consider buying Alpine's GPS units.