2006 Tacoma Polk Speakers

bananastan
bananastan Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
According to Crutchfield only two 6.5" Sony speakers will fit in my 2006 Tacoma standard cab. Can anyone suggest a Polk (or other quality speaker) that will fit without major modifications? I'd like to keep it simple if possible. Thanks.
Post edited by bananastan on

Comments

• xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited September 2009
    db 651 coax Polks. 99.00 polk direct. simple enough.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • bananastan
    edited September 2009
    I spoke with Crutchfield about these just last night before posting here and was told they would not fit, would protrude 1/4" beyond the speaker enclosure in the door. Is there a way to make them fit or a special bracket that will allow them to fit? Thanks.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2009
    Do the db's come with the magnet cover which you can take off, for shallow installs? My momo's came with this screw off top on my mids magnet. Helped a lot for my shallow door install. Option 2 could be to get a good installer who could cut the door panel. Lots of folk though have issues with this.
  • bananastan
    edited September 2009
    Can't really answer your question. Also don't know what a 'momo' is. How would I find out if the magnet cover comes off? Perhaps Polk knows. I would think I would need the grills that come with it as the door has a speaker enclosure, which raises another question: could an installer cut out the grill enclosure for the Polk grills? I'll have to do some more research. Thanks.
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2009
    why not go with a 5 1/4?
  • bananastan
    edited September 2009
    Have no idea about that. Do you?
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited September 2009
    If mounting depth is a problem, there's a Kicker model that's pretty shallow in that size. It sounds about as good as the db model Polk.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited September 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Do the db's come with the magnet cover which you can take off, for shallow installs? My momo's came with this screw off top on my mids magnet. Helped a lot for my shallow door install. Option 2 could be to get a good installer who could cut the door panel. Lots of folk though have issues with this.

The db5251's I just installed come with a grille that does not have a magnet. I believe they are the same grille for the db521.

Also, the mounting depth for the db521 is actually 61.9 cm, and the db651 is 58.74 cm (58.7 for the slim mount) so the 5.25 coax inch requires MORE depth than the 6.50 inch coax.

Also, Crutchfield was wrong about whether a 5.25 would fit my Jaguar. I installed the db5251's without hassle. In fact, I pulled a 6.5 inch factory mid-woofer out of the door! I'm ordering the db651's for the front doors as a result.

Good luck.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • bananastan
    edited September 2009
    By mounting depth do you mean the measurement from the top of the speaker to the door panel?

As I understand it, the problem is the mounting brackets have a 1" collar that hold the speaker, which leaves 1/4" between the top of the speaker and the speaker grill in the door panel. I've spoken to an installer and he said he would cut away the OEM speaker and attach the new speaker to the bracket that's left or cut a piece of plywood to hold the speaker.