need help (again) with mmc690s

anotheruser
anotheruser Posts: 31
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
i bi-amped these about a month ago so i could cut tone down the very bright highs, which worked great.

right now im running the tweeter off the built in crossover and full range on the amp, and the woofers full range (need to change that) the problem is, im just not getting the bass i want from them. they seem to be really lacking in the low end.

im using marilyn manson - coma white (acoustic) for my testing on these, just because it has a nice strong bass line through it all. the vocals and the upper range sound excellent, but the low end of the acoustic guitar just isnt there.

im running these of an xtant a4004 4x50wrms @4 ohm and an alpine cda-9815. the speakers are in some open air speaker boxes right now. (used my old speaker boxes as a temp, and these new speakers wont fit, so theyre half in and half out) would real sealed boxes help with this? ive been putting off making them for awhile now.

which this actually brings me to my third question/concern. i seem to be clipping a bit with these speakers, and i dont think im any where near their limits. the first thing i did was drop the HU volume from 27 to 25 (35max i think), and up the gains, and this helped alot. im currently not even going past 20 just so they dont clip. is it ok if i drop it to say 23 and upped the gains even more? or keep going even lower/upping the gains until i find a spot where they dont clip,and theyre as loud as i want? im currently sitting at about the 11 o clock position for the woofers, and 8 0 lock for the tweeters.
Post edited by anotheruser on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2009
    clipping happens when you over drive the amp. When you turn the volume at hu up, the speakers are trying to draw more power than what the amp can supply. Turn the gains down on the amp to about 10 o'clock, then you can turn it up a bit at the hu.

If your speakers are half in and half out of the box, you will lose a ton of the low end extension. Proper sized enclosure where the speaker sits well and is sealed will solve this issue.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2009
    If the speakers are half in and half out then the backwave is canceling out the front wave. When a speaker cone moves it creates a wave moving out from the front of the cone as well as out from the back of the cone. If you dont have your speakers mount sealed properly, the back wave will cancel out the front wave. This wont affect higher frequencies as much as it will the lower ones.

And lowering the volume and raising the gain is the same thing. 11:00 is kinda high for a gain to be set. Id try it at 10:00.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 31
    edited September 2009
    well, that would explain why i have no real bass. ill get started on the boxes this week and ill turn the gains down a bit.