hi/low adapter

technobass
technobass Posts: 25
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
when installing a high/low adapter in my car to my stock head unit, will i need to give the adapter a power source (like from a pwr antenna wire or sumthin)? it has wires to tap it into the left channel, right channel, and it has two brown ground wires...please help!!!
Steevo a.k.a. DJ Nostalgia
Post edited by technobass on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    if you are talking about a line out converter to take your high level speaker factory output and turn that into an RCA level 0.25 volt output then yes u will need to hook it to switched power. i dont know why it has two brown wires... the few i've seen (as i try to avoid them like the bubonic plague) had a black and red -- the red being wired to your ACC wire on the head for easy ghetto rigging.. or you can throw a relay on your remote turn on and jump it to your amp's power line if its in the trunk or something.

pin 87 - jump from 12V powre line to amp... pin 30 - power line out converter... pin 85 ground ... pin 86 remote turn on line.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    I think radio shack still has an adapter like that. I think it's DC too. Check them out, they might be able to help you. Otherwise, you could probably build one. You will need a tarnsformer though to step down voltage.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • technobass
    technobass Posts: 25
    edited March 2003
    the wiring instructions that came with it said to wire it into the speaker lines and then if no sound is heard, use the ground wires to ground it....

i don't understand where i would hook up a power source to this or why...help please? i'm so confused....
    Steevo a.k.a. DJ Nostalgia
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    You don't need a power source unless you get an external converter and then it will have its own power source leads.

The problem with hi to low input conversion is that the RCA cables will usually need a ground so you will have to use that little ground screw next to the RCA jacks on your amp. I'm not exactly sure how you have things set up so it might be best if you call the tech line for teh company that made your amplifier. They will be able to tell you the best way to go about it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!