Installation

philly420
philly420 Posts: 13
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have just recently heard that to install car speakers and/or a full car stereo system, you need to have a license to do so. Is this true?:confused: The thing is, I want to slowly start my own little stereo business out of my garage and I figured that if i started with installing I might make more business for myself down the road. If a license is required, where might I be able to go to attain one?

thanks for any information that you have on this.
Post edited by philly420 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    I have never heard of that. I suppose it doesn't hurt to get ASE Certified and you will need insurance. At least in NJ and PA you do. Especially idf you are doing installations/modificatiosn or repairs to automotive stuff. Most insurance companies will not insure a mechanic who is not ASE certified. But to find out for sure, call your local borough hall and see if they can give you some info on who to call to get the correct information.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    ya when i was still working for Adesa, the imports slowed down for a while and we had a slow **** month and i told my boss "why dont we start doing customized stuff - nerf bars, roll bars, lift kits, body kits, audio, alarms.... " his immediate reply was "i already asked -- we'd need two more insurance policies and we cant afford it".
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • philly420
    philly420 Posts: 13
    edited March 2003
    One, thanks for the quick replies guys!
    Two, I live in Canada so things may be a little different.
    Three, I only plan on doing stereo systems and nothing else. I know that if I opened a full out garage than I would need insurance but, would I really need it to just install stereo systems:confused:
    I think I will call the City Hall and figure out what I need to know. I just came to you guys first to see if you knew. anyways, thanks for the quick replies and the help!