Amp and box recommendations for my mm2154

redcorn
redcorn Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just got this and was wondering what amp you guys would recommend.

I'm on a tight budget as work is slow and I just got married.

I was thinking about this one, my friend has it and is pleased with it's performance when hooked up to his Alpine type R.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PKhdFCRK7et/p_037A8000V/Audiobahn-A8000V.html

Found them for $100 on ebay.

They say you can use Sealed, Ported or Bandpass enclosures so I built a sealed enclosure with 1.5cu ft. air space as they recommend. To save money I made it out of 1/2" particle board that I already had, I made all the walls out of double thickness, so it's an inch think, to seal it I glued all seams and then painted the inside and out with latex exterior paint.

I have access to a Ported box with I'd think 2.5-3cu ft. air space, do you think the sub would sound better with the ported box, or the smaller one I made?
Post edited by redcorn on

Comments

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited September 2009
    i'm thinking the one u made. 100 is cheap, but u don't have a cheap sub, get a nice amp. u can get a nice one for less than double..w/ warranty..sub will appreciate it. that one will work though, if alll u have is 100
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    how bout it. it werks it werks. ain't got my recomendation if thats what ur asking. i recomend cadence, polk on crutchfield on sale, kicker sx nice amps,..
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • redcorn
    edited September 2009
    I think I like the Cadenece TXA-6004, a guy has them new on ebay for 125 shipped.

Is there any reason why it would be better to get a mono amp? I don't see why it would matter having one bridged 15" and just leave the other channels open.

Then there would be room for another sub down the road if I would ever need more then one 15".
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    they have some nice 4channels in outlet on their site for same price, w/ warranty.. sure, u could have ten channels open if u want. mono amps r better for subs. my budy has a txa mono on subs that sounds nice, he likes it. the txa-3002 will werk..600w (2 channel). i say go alll out..get the ia7 from powermaxelectronics for like 250, retails for like a G. 5yr warranty. i got the amp it replaced from like 10 yrs ago. they finally replaced it, here's ur chance. live close to jersey?
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2009
    I have ported and a sealed enclosure for my sr124, and the sealed enclosure sounds better than the ported imo.
  • redcorn
    edited September 2009
    I just hooked up my sub in the sealed box to my friends audio bahn A8000V and it sounded great, I might just get that one off of ebay.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    do it