possible to only run 2 channels on a 4 channel amp

shawglen
shawglen Posts: 17
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
is it possible to only run 2 channels on a 4 channel amp?

amp is a RF p450.4

was thinking of removing rear channels inputs and ouputs to see how it sounds.

Do i need to provide either input or output or a minimal load to do it safely?

thanks in advance
Glen
Post edited by shawglen on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2009
    It is fine to run the amp with nothing hooked up.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    No problem, and welcome to Club Polk:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited September 2009
    why not run em all?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    You may be able to bridge your amp too.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    Cadenceclipse - I'm currently running them all, but i'm thinking of removing the rears
    to hear what it sounds like without so that
    when I purchase some components - currently running coaxials i'll know what to expect.

I just dont want to damage the amp in the meantime.

Ben - Yes the p450.4 can be bridged

4ohm load brideged will give 225 watts (as per the manual)
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    yeah just unplug and listen, course won't sound like components.. i just ditched rears, takes some time to get used to specially if fronts and/or sub aren't up 2 par. sell rears, get nice componets..
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2009
    I dont think you'll get much of a soundstage running only coax's upfront. Components would be nice.

When you get your comps, you can hook them up to the front amp channels and bridge the rears and run a sub. That's what Ben's comment meant.

Alternately you can bi-amp the comp's using all 4 amp channels and run the sub off a seperate mono amp.

It depends on what you want to do. Test the waters with your toe or do you want to dive headfirst into this madness.....lol :)
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    Yes i plan on using all 4 channels to power the comps.

Im at the stage of going around and trying to listen to different brands of speakers.
    to see what i like. Havent located a polk dealer in Montreal yet though.

As far as what i want to is basically create SQ for my daily driver.
    no competitions,

and i'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    crutchfield don't sell up there?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2009
    So you're planning to bi-amp your components. If your hu allows you to set a 3way network you can remove the passive xovers from the path and go active.

Listening to different speakers is a good idea. However most demo facilities leave a lot to be desired. The same speaker will sound different in the demo room and your car. However the demo will at least give you an idea.

A good setup would be an hu that offers tunning features, front comps, no rears, a sub and 2 amps and some sound deadening. 1 4ch and one mono for the sub. Given these, you can dial in some pretty decent sq.

Send a mail to canada@polkaudio.com to get a list of authorised dealers.

http://www.polkaudio.com/dealerlocator/find.php Alternately go to this site and input your zip code to get a list.

BTW, Montreal is just an amazing city for several reasons. From the point of quality of life, culture, friendly people, entertainment etc I rate it #1 among all the cities that I have visited (yes higher than Paris for quality of life. Paris overwhelms you with its visuals, but the people are a bit cold. Montreal has the some of the visual touches but feels like home). Used to visit Montreal about 4 times a year on business till about 4 years back. I rate it #1 even though I have experienced -50 in January.....lol.
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    candenceclipse- Crutchfied.ca does exist but the are a bit pricey
    i.e sonixelectronix.com has some mm6501 listed at 199$ plus exchange and duty should come out to about 250 - 260 canadian.

Now crutchfield has the mm6501's listed @ 385 & with all the taxes it comes to 404$

So I'll probably purchase through an american company on the net.
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    arun1963 - my hu is an alpine cda-9847 I don't believe it allows me to set 3 way...

About two weeks ago I sent an email to that address and havent received an news yet. :(

The closest dealer i've found is over 4 hours drive away. bummer.

Here is my current setup...(don't laugh)

hu-Alpine cda-9847
    REF3012CF 3.5 infinity - running off the hu

Rockford fosgate P450.4 running front doors and rear pillar speakers

Front door - REF6012I infinity
    front doors have been dynamatted

rear pillars - infinity REF6812CF

for bass - i installed a infinity basslink

I know, i know but for the moment its all that i need.
    without taking up too much room.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    they don't have 25% off rite now?..yeah ditch infinitys, all 3, (or 4) get mms. some1 or 2 people r sellin em here for like 200. is that stil like 250 canadian? u could prob biamp n60121s no? ur amp puts out what 40 x 4? think those speakers can handle 180w..
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    25% is on the .com site and not the .ca site :(

the p450.4 is listed at 60x4 - birth sheet said 97x4

bi-amping the infinities to see if it sounds better...i might try that before installing the components.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    oh sory. damn 97! need a smiley face after that! do it but b careful specialy w/ tweets..
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    :) lol

yeah thanks.

as far as buying used ...I had problems buying used before
    so i buy new and live with the difference and the warranty. :)
  • cadenceclipse
    edited September 2009
    dito. the 1s here r legit though ie unreali
  • shawglen
    edited September 2009
    for sure, i dont doubt it.