More Off Topic Stuff...

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Sorry too do this again.... My wife has a factory 85' S-10 4x4 Blazer with a Manual Tranny... Here the problem two night ago It lost 1,2,5 gear no biggie just replace it right? Well I can't find any sources that give the model number. The chilton only gives the auto # I've looked all over the internet but you guys tend to have more hook ups!!

Anything Would Help!
:supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad:
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    What are you trying to replace? The gears or the transmission?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • philly420
    philly420 Posts: 13
    edited March 2003
    If you mean that the truck dropped gears one, two, and five... you would be better off replacing the tranny! If any vehicle drops 3 gears in one day(??) then there are bound to be more problems later. Spend a little bit more money now and save yourself the problems later. A new tranny may cost alot now but replacing gears left right and center can get alot more expensive in the long run. Also as Jstas said, if you need our help then we are going to need your help, and by that i mean you need to be more specific with what you want to do...!

Good luck with the truck!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    you cant find the model number of what?
    look on the outside of the vehicle on the drivers side through the front windshield
    there is a number at the base of the front windshield on the dash
    that number might help you find what number youre looking for
    but i dont know
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    philly has a point, i'm no mech, but you drop 3 gears in one day and you've got some serious issues... better to head to the boneyard and pick up a tranny -- i imagine u can get a beat on one for like 200 bucks if u hunt well.

i found a Torqueflite with less than 30k miles on it for 175....didn't buy it... didn't need it... but that was just me doing some internet shopping in my lazy hazy boredom few weeks ago.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • philly420
    philly420 Posts: 13
    edited March 2003
    PBD is a smart man! I never took into consideration that you can go to a "scrap" yeard and find an old tranny. It may need to be cleaned up a bit and checked over by someone before you put it in your truck but... if it works and it is in safe to run then i say go for it! It will also save you alot of money too. Spend 3000-4000 on a brand new tranny or go find one in a pile of steel for probably under 1500... go with the search!

but any way that you do it is up to you. Just have fun and make it an adventure!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2003
    for a s10 standard transmission it probably wont be that much new or used
    but if you drop 3 gears in one day it might be a sensor or something
    or a transmission fluid leak
    umm
    trying to think what else could cause that
    maybe it was just a bad transmission and one gear went out and when you shifted it put more pressure on the other gears and they went out too
    you might also want to check your differential fluid in the back axle
    climb under the back axle with a ratchet...im not sure what size ratchet...3/8 maybe
    and youll see a place for it
    if i remember right
    on my truck its on the passenger side on the front
    closer to the hood instead of the tailgate
    unscrew it and stick your finger in it
    none should pour out but you should be able to stick your finger in it and feel oil
    if you cant you might want to buy some and just put it in the hole where you unscrewed it
    it wont fix the problem but it might have been a factor in causing the problem in the first place
    preferrably do this when it hasnt been running lately
    the exhaust can get in the way and take it from someone who touched it...its hot...
    lol
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    for a s10 standard transmission it probably wont be that much new or used
    but if you drop 3 gears in one day it might be a sensor or something
    or a transmission fluid leak
    umm
    trying to think what else could cause that
    maybe it was just a bad transmission and one gear went out and when you shifted it put more pressure on the other gears and they went out too
    you might also want to check your differential fluid in the back axle
    climb under the back axle with a ratchet...im not sure what size ratchet...3/8 maybe
    and youll see a place for it
    if i remember right
    on my truck its on the passenger side on the front
    closer to the hood instead of the tailgate
    unscrew it and stick your finger in it
    none should pour out but you should be able to stick your finger in it and feel oil
    if you cant you might want to buy some and just put it in the hole where you unscrewed it
    it wont fix the problem but it might have been a factor in causing the problem in the first place
    preferrably do this when it hasnt been running lately
    the exhaust can get in the way and take it from someone who touched it...its hot...
    lol
    -Cody

It's most likely syncronizers. Either that of an internal linkage problem. It's probably going to be a rebuild or a new rans eitherway.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2003
    yeah i was thinking if it wasnt some type of sensor...which is wishful thinking for a standard....it would probably have to be rebuilt or get a new one
    -Cody