Always wondering...

philly420
philly420 Posts: 13
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have read over the forums for quite some time now and not once anywhere have I read about some-one using 8" subs... is that because they are no good or is it because everyone thinks bigger is better. OR is bigger better? I am working with a small built car, that doesn't have alot of room. I was just wondering if 8's can do the same job that 10's and 12's can...? Or would using 8's be a waste of time all together?

Thank you for any input

P.S. As you can probably guess, I'm a newbie...:(
Post edited by philly420 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    You need to go back and read again because I used 2, 8 inch Kenwood subs in a mini/compact truck install of my own.

They are fine for small compartments but in larger vehicles, they do not have the displacement abilities to adequatly fill the passenger compatment with sound. That creates the problem of reduced low-end extension and makes the subwoofer very localized in the overall sound stage of the stereo in the vehicle. Most times you will see a setereo using dual 8 inch subs to reduce that affact. Unless the sub is in a bandpass box and then it doesn't need 2 drivers because the noise comes from the port and not the speaker.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    if you're rollin in something small with the cabin room of like a 1980's corvette or a fiero or something little.... two 8's (if they're good quality 250 - 300 wrms 8's) will slam like a mother f#####.

8's are also good when you are not really looking for a low low bass note -- accurate from about 40 hertz up, most will do an ok job in even medium sized cars as long as you're not looking for "really really loud" or anything resembling "thunder".
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    a reason you dont hear about them on this forum is i dont think polk makes 8's
    i might be wrong but i dont think so
    i think theyre going to make 8 in momos though
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    true true, they dont anymore till summer.
  • philly420
    edited March 2003
    So basically what you all are saying is that if I can fit a 10" or two in the space that i have, then i should put a 10"?? I plan on stuffing these in behind the back seats of my car. The first plan was to just put a box in the back. I now think I am going to make a box into the trunk and cut out the holes that are needed in the sheet metal behind the seats. Would this work ok if I could fit one or two 10" subs in there?:confused:
    This will be my first actual system, and I listen to mostly rap so I need more of a thunder type of bass instead of a precise note.(am i right on that??)

But thanks for the replies and I will be sure to look for that thread later!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    Just because a 10 inch will fit doesn't mean it should.

Bigger is not always better and quality sound is produced through finesse and not brute force.

Polk speakers are nothing if they are not versatile and they work well in almost any application. A single 10 inch Momo with about 300 watts RMS will probably work very well in a small space. Anything bigger I think would over-power your application. While rap does have a heavy bass track and it is supposed to, too much bass can kill the sound.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2003
    what kind of car do you have to give us a better idea of what were working with?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    i think he's talking about a rear deck -- the space behind his seats // building a box in the trunk, cutting through the sheetmetal.. sounds like a deck job to me.

dude.. if at all possible, if i were you i'd just put a couple subs IN the trunk, not actually through the deck or any sheetmetal... if this was not your first system then I'd say challenge it, but for a first time job, you're better off just staying simple.

rear decks can be a PAIN... i've been dabbling in this stuff for many years and I'm still sitting here going "do i really wanna cut up the deck in the subaru?" been debating that one for 8 months now.

even if u were to do the deck.. 8's would probably turn out better... (IDQ 8" d4's two of them... off like a bridged rockford 550S would be pretty sweet... or a couple old polk dx8's 8 ohm off the same power).

and ya -- what car is it we're talkin about?
  • philly420
    edited March 2003
    I haven't done alot of work with stereo systems in the past but I have been working with cars since i was 7. I know how much of a hassle it is to rip out thesheetmetal that goes to the trunk. The one thing that would concern me is the fact of only making holes in the metal and then having to make it air tight to a wooden box. But I think what i am going to do is stick with just putting them in the trunk for now, and then if I get the time, patience, and another vehicle for awhile... then I might put them through the trunk.

And right now i am working with a '97 Grand Am. It isn't the biggest that i wish it was but it will do for now. Thanks for all the help guys. I just wish there were someway to pay you back!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2003
    we accept all major credit cards, personal checks, and money orders:D
    -Cody
  • philly420
    edited March 2003
    What about cash:confused:

because right now I have no money to my name:eek: so I can pay you with monopoly money or the bills from pay day....you decide on that one!:lol:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2003
    lol...i might be able to pawn the whole game...but i doubt the individual bills would do me anygood...maybe if someone on here has a bird...
    -Cody